Review by Azuk7 -- The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azuk7
Currently Reading: The Way of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuk7.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by Azuk7 -- The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by Azuk7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz is a Sci-Fi novel following a large array of characters in a post-apocalyptic world that has doomed mankind to extinction, leaving us to wonder if it is to late to save mankind, or if our world as we have become to know it is even worth the humanitarian efforts that are needed to save it. So the question would then become: What is it to be good? What is it to be evil? Then the answer to that question shall determine the lengths one is willing to go to accomplish the outcome they think is best.

A virus is released making conception difficult for a growing number of people, causing a massive decline in the world population. Over time, many worthy, reliable jobs become unfilled and universities dwindle. The country becomes divided and people stop obeying the laws and start doing terrible things to each other. With hope of getting the last of the population under control, the government requires all American citizens to relocate to one of seven cities. What was once known as the United States of America, is now the Seven Cities of America.

The Last City of America follows several characters around these seven cities in this post-apocalyptic world. With the world uncertain, characters are constantly evolving and faced with finding their own moral code.

I think the writer and this story have some great potential. This book did draw me in. At times, it was hard to put down. I really enjoyed the complexity of some of the characters. However, the book seemed to be more of an outline to what should be a book series. There were too many first persons’ point of view. I had no sense of the time while reading this book. The story was very scattered and incomplete. As soon as I started to get drawn in by a character, it would be abruptly stopped, and I was thrown into another area of the story. The end of book was very anti-climactic, fizzling down to the end. I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

Although I did enjoy this book at times, it is just too erratic and incomplete to be enjoyable by the end. I don’t know who I would recommend this book to. It left me with a lot of unanswered questions, leaving me with a feeling of frustration and confused.

The Last City of America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Azuk7's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”