Review by emkinney4 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emkinney4
Currently Reading: Scrappy Little Nobody
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emkinney4.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by emkinney4 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by emkinney4 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley is a silly, lighthearted children's book about a boy named Sigfried who has left a vast array of gross, smelly things inside the pages of his book. He introduces several family members, such as his baby sister Piper and his Uncle Kato, who all leave their own unique stenches in Sigfried's book.

The main source of the smells, however, is Sigfried's collection of dirty socks he keeps under his bed. He describes each different colored pair and what it smells like, and each stink is more bizarre than the last. At the end of the book Sigfried does decide to finally wash his socks, but does it in his signature silly fashion.

I thoroughly enjoyed this fun read! The rhyming lines had a smooth flow and played with different text sizes, fonts and colors that would keep young readers invested and entertained. The real highlight, though, was Foley's vibrant illustrations that captured my attention from the very first page. His characters are drawn with comical shapes and expressions, and are animated as they witness the increasingly foul items inside Sigfried's book. The illustration was made especially interesting by the contrast between the smelly items and the characters. Foley used real photos of the objects, such as a rotten banana, a smear of mustard and a moldy waffle. The inclusion of real photos was an unexpected surprise, and made the items seem even more gross when presented next to the cute, simplistic illustrations. Even as a young adult, the images were intriguing and I was curious to see what foul item would come next.

As a babysitter and a camp counselor, I've read books to many different children, and they all have one thing in common: the sillier, the better. I am definitely going to recommend this book to the families I babysit, because based on other silly books I've read to their kids, Sigfried's Smelly Socks will certainly make them howl with laughter. It lends perfectly to a child's sense of humor, and will without a doubt be one of the books they can't stop requesting.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for its clever silliness, intriguing illustrations, and overall enjoyability. The only reason I'm not giving it 4 is because I personally prefer there to be a clear message or moral that children can take from a book and learn from. Sigfried's Smelly Socks is pure entertainment and laughs, with no real message to be taken from it. That being said, I believe a book purely intended for humor can also be beneficial, as it can cheer anyone up after a bad day, and really develop a child's sense of humor. I definitely recommend this book!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like emkinney4's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great review. I thought this book would have amused my brothers when they were younger, but as the only daughter in the family, I'm sure I would have turned my nose up at how disgusting it is ;)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”