Review by Julie Green -- White Night by J.J. Holt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Review by Julie Green -- White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Julie Green »

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Night" by J.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Back on her first case since being mown down and left for dead in a back alley, Detective Jen Connors needs to prove herself fit for work, both physically and mentally. Connors is not encouraged when she meets her new partner, Ross, who also appears to be suffering from a troubled history.

The case initially focuses on a shooting at a construction site. It soon becomes clear that there is more to this case than the two detectives first realise, as the evidence points to a witness, Michael, who is injured and on the run. Enter the criminal Romano family. Nikolai, a disaffected member of the gang, is trying to find a way to escape from a lifetime of servitude to the family. Targeting a rival gang's meth lab, Nikolai sets in motion plans to fake his own death in an explosion that will also take out a city block. The various plot lines converge as Connors and Ross race to prevent the explosion, risking their own lives in the process.

White Night by J J Holt is an action-packed crime story. A dramatic opening scene pulls us straight into the heart of the action. We see Michael cornered and bleeding, with footsteps approaching his hiding place. We do not know at this moment whether Michael is a criminal or an innocent bystander, which adds to the intrigue. In fact, action scenes are a forte throughout this book. Whether describing an attempt being made on Michael's life in hospital one night, or vehicular ambushes by drug gangs on city streets, the author knows how to bring action sequences to life.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot is excellent and it is not clear who will survive to the end. A sense of foreboding is maintained throughout the book; we are never quite sure who can be trusted. Violence is never far away. We are given a glimpse of the brutality of the Romano family, for example, in a scene which is all the more impactful for showing only an indirect reference. Nikolai is being interviewed by Don Romano when he catches sight through an open door of a less fortunate interviewee, bloodied and beaten.

The relationship between Connors and Ross develops credibly, as Connors has to decide whether or not she can trust her partner. We understand enough about the main character, Connors, to wish her well as she struggles to prove herself in front of her colleagues.

This is a cracking story which will appeal to anyone who likes a good crime thriller. Fast-paced and full of intrigue, this is a book that will not disappoint.

White Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Julie Green's review? Post a comment saying so!
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This story sounds quite exhilarating! I've not read many crime novels, but this one does sound interesting. I'm glad the violence was not too overdone. I read one crime novel a while back and the amount of gore in it shut me off to finishing the book. I might just give this one a go. Thanks for the review.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Awesome review! I love action-packed crime thrillers, so I'll definitely be putting this one on my want-to-read list :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 16:27 This story sounds quite exhilarating! I've not read many crime novels, but this one does sound interesting. I'm glad the violence was not too overdone. I read one crime novel a while back and the amount of gore in it shut me off to finishing the book. I might just give this one a go. Thanks for the review.
Yes, this one does not rely overly on gore...it's just a good story. Thanks for your comment!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 18:00 Awesome review! I love action-packed crime thrillers, so I'll definitely be putting this one on my want-to-read list :)

Thanks for your comment... it's definitely worth a read :D
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

I agree with your four out of four star rating for this book. I really enjoyed reading it as well, and I agree completely with your analysis. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the genre :) Thank you for your review.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I look forward to reading this book, I love a engaging opening. I know I will enjoy the thrilling and tension paced beginning to this story. I am also really drawn to complicated characters, I can't wait to see how they interact and how the stakes keep rising as they continuously risk their lives.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a great action story. I'll look for it. Thank you.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”