Review by meggrossi96 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meggrossi96
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggrossi96.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by meggrossi96 -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by meggrossi96 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The bildungsroman, or coming-of-age story, has taken many forms over time, most of which follow a young person's path into adulthood. This genre takes the audience through the protagonist's formative years, portraying the decisions they must make, the confusion they face, and the people they grow into. Although Can I Be Frank? follows the life of an adult, author Rob Wyatt brings his audience on a similar journey of personal, and in Frank's case spiritual, growth.

Can I Be Frank? tells the story of Father Francis, a "Limey" who has just moved to Florida to run his own parish. However, this giant step in Frank's life becomes overwhelming, and despite being a man of God he falls victim to questionable choices, such as purchasing a junker vehicle and spending too much time at the bar. Frank, as he insists being called, continuously makes bad impressions in his determination to do the right thing. Wyatt sets the tone for how awkward and clumsy Frank will be in the very beginning of the novel, where the poor priest fights his way through the American TSA and drags around a torn, damp suitcase filled with clothes his mother packed for him and a pork pie that explodes all over his belongings before he even leaves the airport. For the first few chapters, Frank is a cringe-worthy character.

However, as he finds his place in America and learns to run his parish, Frank becomes more well-rounded, making friends and picking up American slang while passing along his own from England. Frank's greatest moment of character development comes when he decides that his parish will host their annual Fall Festival without relying on the wealthy Gene Charmois, a great donator to the church who uses his wealth to exploit the entire town. Making enemies with the most powerful man around, while also cutting off the church's highest source of income, puts Frank in a tight position, but through the help of his right-hand woman Martha, his doctor Ginny, and the local judge Karl, Franks pulls off a fantastic festival, brings in new patrons, and uncovers illegal activity that could ruin Gene's credibility for good.

By the end of the book, the audience sees Frank's transformation from bumbling fool with little direction to an inspiring figurehead among the locals and the Diocese. Watching all of Frank's mistakes initially is a bit irritating, because they seem so exaggerated. However, as frustrating as it is to watch him, Frank himself sees all of his errors as a sign that his move to America and career choice were mistakes, a path he admits to taking only because he was good at nothing else. We see him turn to his mother in times of loss and confusion for direction, but as he becomes more comfortable in his role and new home he looks to Martha more for guidance, symbolizing his acceptance of his new circumstances and his efforts to move on.

In many ways, Frank is leaving behind his adolescence for the first time, as he makes note of not needing to do much at home since his mother took care of everything. His is a story of growing up and deciding for yourself what path to follow. Many times throughout the novel, we see both Frank himself and others question his ability to serve the parish. His decisions are what shape his life, and his choice to work harder at priesthood rounds him into a capable man. His decisions to host the Fall Festival without Gene Charmois, to aid impoverished people with what little resources he has at his disposal, and to continue his role as Father after his own church turns against him all define his growth. Even the title Can I Be Frank? foreshadows this metamorphosis. The title invokes the expression "to be frank," meaning to be honest with oneself and others. In addition, it refers to Frank's desire to be addressed as "Frank," not as Francis; he knows who he is and by the end of the novel, has proven his worth and ability to his friends, his patrons, his Diocese, and himself.

I rank Can I Be Frank? 3 out of 4 stars. Wyatt mixes a good balance of humor and somberness together, not overdoing each other between chapters, resulting in a powerful story that resembles real-life in its variety of emotions. Due to the style of the novel, it felt obvious from the get-go that everything was going to work out for Frank, and so it did. Nevertheless, getting there, going through several twists and turns, the good and the bad, was what made this an enjoyable read. This unique novel has many ups and downs in regards to style. The writing itself is easy to read and not overly dramatic, perhaps because it doesn't need to be. The style, much like the title, is frank. This makes for light reading filled with humor, minor twists, and a positive message. However, this causes the writing to come off as juvenile occasionally. For readers looking for a challenging read, this novel would not be it. However, for readers looking for a fun, easy book, Can I Be Frank? is a perfect pick.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like meggrossi96's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I do agree that Frank's character development is that of a caterpillar that changes over time to a butterfly. This is an excellent story just like the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”