Review by KitabuKitamu -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 235
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by KitabuKitamu -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by KitabuKizuri » 17 Jul 2018, 07:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guilt" by David Taylor Black.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dan is a writer who is getting away in the Bahamas for a while to focus on his book project. In the process of research about a cholera outbreak from the mid-nineteenth century, he meets Cat, a librarian who helps him out in his quest. Together they find a dead person’s body, but a slip in good judgment got the better of him while they pondered about their find and that begins a kind of drama for Dan that he would never have anticipated upon his life. On top of that, an officer’s jealousy of Dan’s curiosity about Cat almost drives him to ensure the end of his life as a regular citizen.

As things fall into disarray and people in his life turn against him, he holds on to his seemingly blossoming but brittle relationship with Cat. What he uncovers in the process is that everything on the Island is not what it seems, and this one Cat was hiding among a lot of secrets in the bag that came with her.

This story is captivating, to say the least, the author pacing through different scenes in time and place according to the situation, drawing the reader in emotion-wise to the point of empathy with the characters in each scene. The story is told in the third person while the author ‘pans’ through most of the book focusing on Dan and his interactions with other characters. The characters are well distinguished by their speech, including the local Bahamian pidgin, giving some thought on the author’s part on their development. He also indicates body language as they interact, which I liked. Cat's complex character is also well brought out by the author as he weaves us through the drama in prose.

Guilt is written by David Taylor Black, a budding best-selling author and published by himself to the best of my knowledge. I highly recommend this book to those who like drama stories with a wicked twist. It's not easy putting the book down one you get with the flow of the author's style of writing, which includes broken or stalled sentences, stammers and halts in the characters' conversations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, the author and his team (I think), have done a good job writing and editing the book. I hardly found any errors, except for one spelling mistake which wasn't easy to spot for me. It is a fun read without being explicit, despite one or two hints of mature moments. Young adults would be at home with this book.

Guilt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KitabuKitamu's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”