Review by Sarah Tariq -- Boom! A Revolting Situation

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Boom! A Revolting Situation

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Boom! A Revolting Situation" by Thomas Richard Harry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abraham Lincoln once said, “Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, and for the people.” However, the current American political landscape is not fulfilling this requirement and is diverging from its core democratic values. Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry is an eye-opening political text regarding this issue. In this book, the author unveils the true face of Democrats and Republicans, as they are losing their credibility and throwing the voters in the lap of Independents due to their inconsistent and unfriendly policies.

The author is an independent and has a keen eye over American politics. He statistically provides pieces of evidence that how the level of discontentment has been rising among people since 1995 and now it has reached its apex. He is of the view that both the parties (Democrats and Republicans) have lost their leadership qualities and the discontentment among people is rising rapidly. The increasing role of Independent in American politics is the profound evidence of this unrest among people. The author considers it a “democratic absurdity” to select the two parties again and again. Instead, he evokes the people to look for other options within the existing electoral system. He maintains that Independents if unite together, can replace both the parties as their strength has reached up to 40% of the total elected members. So it is a time for the revolution. Now the American people should come forward to break the status quo.

The author triggers his political debate by quoting the Irish Revolution and resembles it with the current political unrest in the country. Later on, he explains the history of American politics and then he comes to the current political parties (Democrats and Republicans). He provides an in-depth analysis of what are the faults, which measures perverted these parties from the right direction. He vehemently discusses the increasing role of Independents in American politics and foresees them as an “alternative party.” He also provides important suggestions regarding improvement in social security, tax and propriety laws.

The author critically appraises the whole political situation and offers recommendations to redress the detracted political base. It is an eye-opening read for American establishment, as the incongruent policies and lack of political acumen on part of policymakers are resulting in the loss of prestige on internal and external fronts.

It is an important political text which despite its dry nature is very interesting and easy to follow. You never get bored while reading this book and its credit definitely goes to the author. At different places, Thomas Harry has included the quotes from different political books to support his views. So this book provides a good comparative analysis pertaining to the current American political scene. Apart from this, the notes and bibliography included at the end of the book help to understand different political terminologies used in the book.

Another plus point of the book is this that the author has chosen a balanced approach for both the parties. He doesn’t seem to undermine one or the other party, rather he critically judges their functioning and evaluates the reason which has pulled both the parties away from their core objective i.e. serve the people.

Now when we come to the drawbacks; candidly speaking, I couldn’t find any. The author is a serving politician and has shared researched information under his vast political experience. Therefore, it is a valuable book for all those who want to analyze the internal dynamics of American politics. Moreover, the book seems to be professionally edited. I couldn’t find any mistake except one or two punctuation errors. However, it did not detract me from reading this book. So I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is purely a thoughtful book and will appeal to those readers who have an interest in politics, especially American politics. It can equally serve as a reference book for the students of political science.

On the whole, astute leadership is the need of the hour in American politics, so that it could play its role positively and effectively in internal and world politics. This book is the first revolutionary step in this direction.

Boom! A Revolting Situation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

As a person who finds both parties lacking, I might like this book.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 01:53 As a person who finds both parties lacking, I might like this book.
Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great read, I always enjoy well-written and well-developed arguments. Thanks for the review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

gen_g wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 10:55 This sounds like a great read, I always enjoy well-written and well-developed arguments. Thanks for the review!
Yeah, it's a thought provoking political book. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Excellent review and a very timely book. Our political landscape is barely recognisable of late, not just in then US but also in the UK where we have a clown government and no opposition.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Helen_Combe wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 13:01 Excellent review and a very timely book. Our political landscape is barely recognisable of late, not just in then US but also in the UK where we have a clown government and no opposition.
Exactly, political landscape is on downward trajectory everywhere.

📕📖📰📓📕
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Great review. It would be interesting if the Independents stepped up more in our elections. I'll admit I really didn't want to vote for anyone in the last Presidential election. I am curious how he relates our current events to the Irish revolution, so I might have to read this one.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This sounds like an interesting and VERY timely book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

melissy370 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 16:40 Great review. It would be interesting if the Independents stepped up more in our elections. I'll admit I really didn't want to vote for anyone in the last Presidential election. I am curious how he relates our current events to the Irish revolution, so I might have to read this one.
Yeah, it becomes difficult to vote to any candidate in this situation. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Dael Reader wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 20:06 This sounds like an interesting and VERY timely book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yeah, it's a very timely book. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book was pretty good and I liked how fair it was in describing the problems in Congress. Excellent detailed review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Momiji1987 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 18:13 This book was pretty good and I liked how fair it was in describing the problems in Congress. Excellent detailed review!

📕📖📰📓📕
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

On a normal day, I'd usually be choosing to veer away from political topics at all because my previous and current circumstances always entail that I remain non-partisan and apolitical. Anything which would suggest otherwise is not intended to be so, and should be taken along within the context including my first statement. I'd only talk or write about the topic if it's professionally required to be done, but such doesn't diminish my qualms about doing so.

Such is why I just like your brilliant review. To be able to pull off a review for such a sensitive topic with flair is an admirable feat! Thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Well, politics is a dry topic and is not liked by everyone. It requires a particular aptitude. Thank you so much for your feedback. :)

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”