Review by hadizasalisu -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by hadizasalisu -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As far as the Heartaches: bad boy vibes series goes, I'm afraid I came a tad late to the party, I started in the second book of the series and I feel like I should have started from the first because this book is really something!

Heartaches 2 by H.M.Irwing is described as a romance but in my a opinion it is a relationship ( both friendly and romantic relationships) based book set in Melbourne, Australia. It follows the lives of three people, in an army training barrack, all of whom are tied together by one form of relationship or the other, each of them is fighting their own personal battle and somehow they only pull through because of each other. Anna, Rafe and Pat battle everything from sexual abuse, to trauma, to family secrets that could cause natural disasters, all to fall back to their relationships with each other for support and guidance to pull through it. It started with a nightmare and ended with a plan, which in my opinion is how this book thing should be done.

The most endearing thing about this book to me, is its premise, it was well thought out, its the kind of story that if properly executed could send shock waves to the moon and back. I also loved that the book was action packed; It had twists for its twists and turns where you least expect them, it was so thrilling that it had me reading through the night sleep be damned!, truly H.M.Irwing has a gift for storylines.

The most frustrating thing for me about this book has to be the idea that victims and survivors of sexual abuse are in some way weak, or that they view themselves as weak, and this kept coming up whenever the main characters happened to talk about their past experiences of abuse, it somehow came close to sounding like victim blaming. Another thing I didn't like was that the writing was inconsistent, sometimes it was vivid and clear, explaining everything from scenery to how the air felt, and other times, it was barely understandable, it was very frustrating. I would also have liked better character development for some of the background characters.

I wouldn't recommend this book for anybody below the age of eighteen, or anybody who is very sensitive towards narratives of sexual abuse, and just to be safe, survivors of sexual abuse because this book dealt with certain societal norms and interpretations given to sexual abuse and it wasn't very delicate about some of it.

This book seems to be professionally edited with almost no grammatical errors, so I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4, because although it had one hell of a story it wasn't very well told, and it lacked proper character development for some of the characters, I felt like these characters weren't eased into the book, they were just thrown in! which of course is sad because it took a certain charm off the story, all in all it is a good read.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hadizasalisu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 14:49 I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.
I really loved pats character, comedic relief and sarcasm was most needed in this novel. Thank you for the compliment

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”