Review by TheTrueNyree -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheTrueNyree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 23
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by TheTrueNyree -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by TheTrueNyree »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles is a short literary fiction, taking us through the life of Clayton Otherson, a wealthy well known bariatric surgeon in a New Orleans hospital, during the time his life was spiraling out of control. He has a great reputation as a mentor and surgeon, but his judgments in some of his surgical procedures are being questioned due to patient complications. Mike Boudreaux, Chief of surgery, Clayton’s former student and now friend, now has to face difficult decisions in how to deal with disciplining Otherson based on the urging of colleagues and the needs of the hospital. Should Mike be the boss or a friend in his decision making?

This story may have been a short one but it was packed with a lot of detail and excitement. There was not one dull moment in this amazing story. Catherine Otherson, Clayton’s wife, is a strong intelligent woman in public and is lonely and unsatisfied at home. Clayton is fueled by being the best surgeon and making a name for himself as having completed the most bariatric surgery cases, and in the process, he is not seeing how neglected Catherine is feeling.

Mike and Catherine were put in constant contact with each other, as Mike fills in many times for Clayton’s absence. These encounters were helping a relationship build between the two that was becoming harder and harder to ignore. Clayton and Mike are struggling with their longtime friendship due to Mike’s authority at the hospital and forbidden love between him and Catherine. Should Catherine and Mike fight against their love for each other?

I really did not know what to expect when I chose this book. But I am truly glad I picked it. The book is written in so many points of view, I could see how each character felt, which made the story more interesting and easier for the reader to relate to. The author took the time to describe the scenes so that the reader can get a glimpse of what New Orleans was looking like in the French Quarter. The author did well in allowing the reader to truly visualize the scene, which allows the reader to remember every moment after the book is finished. It will leave the reader thinking of the past events they just read as though it really happened and they had seen it first-hand.

I would have to rate The Surgeon's Wife a 4 out of 4 stars. The book did have some minor grammatical errors that did not affect the flow of the story. It appeared, for the most part, to have been professionally edited. I loved the entire book, it had action, and romance. Just when the reader thinks they may know the personality of a character, the book will show another side of them, having the reader reevaluating previous conceptions made based on some of the unexpected decisions the characters will make. Some scenes came out of nowhere when introducing new characters, so the reader will think at first, and then the author nicely ties it all into the rest of the story. This book had many stories going on simultaneously and yet they were all connected somehow.

I would recommend this book be read by an audience 18 years and older due to some of the more complicated mature situations portrayed by the main characters. This book may also go against moral standards of some, with choices made by the main characters, Clayton, Catherine and Mike. But before the reader knows it, they will probably be rooting for the side that may have initially frustrated them, like I did. This book is well written and fast paced; it will capture the reader's attention from the beginning to the end. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for drama, action and romance.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like TheTrueNyree's review? Post a comment saying so!

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a good book. I've seen it but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it or not. Your review was great. I think I might try it. Thank you.
:techie-studyingbrown:

TheTrueNyree

Post by TheTrueNyree »

LaurenHaupt wrote: ↑
23 Jul 2018, 22:03
Sounds like a good book. I've seen it but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it or not. Your review was great. I think I might try it. Thank you.
It really is a page turner. it wont take long for you to get through it, because you will want to know what will happen. :)

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

Sounds like an interesting read, save for the moral issues. Thanks for the balanced review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

TheTrueNyree

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Cotwani wrote: ↑
25 Jul 2018, 09:34
Sounds like an interesting read, save for the moral issues. Thanks for the balanced review.
Thank you so much for commenting, it is a good read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”