Review by hopelittle -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hopelittle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hopelittle.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Review by hopelittle -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by hopelittle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a fictional story of John Bird who feels as though he’s different because he doesn’t quite fit in with everyone else. The novel starts in his adolescent where he struggles with J.P. who’s is continually bullying him and gives him the nickname Ladybird. He’s bullied because he’s shy, insecure, and not masculine. He feels that he’s not worthy to have a friend. Until, a new transfer student named Aueras comes to school and helps him gain confidence in himself. Together, the dynamic duo endure the trials and tribulations of high school and decide to attend college together.

In college, the two friends remain close and support each other. Eventually, John realizes the reason he is different is because he feels trapped in the wrong body and feels that he should have been born a woman. We embark on John’s journey of discovering what it means to be transgender and how the support of Aueras and his family impact him on this journey of self-discovery.

I really liked this book because it examined John’s feelings and experience from adolescence through becoming an adult. The relationships were dynamic and the book was easy to read. It made me feel connected to the characters and the struggles seemed realistic and empathetic. I also liked how developed the relationships were between the characters family as well as the relationship with his friends. I think this allowed you to see how it impacted each of the characters differently.

I think that the author handled the transgendered journey in a way that was relatable and respectful. This was a journey of self-discovery and becoming your true-self regardless of what everyone else wants you to be or who they think you should be. I also think the story accurately demonstrated how transformed and more confident the character became once he transitioned from John into Jocye while still showing the internal similarities.

I’d give this book a 3 out of 4 due to some of the grammatical errors and I think there were a few sections of the book that could have moved more quickly. I like that it fully examined the issues and gave a full spectrum but at times I felt like I wanted the plot to continue move forward. It wasn't that noticeable that I couldn't enjoy the book, there were just a few times I felt that I knew what was going to happen or that I just wanted it to happen already. Overall, I’d recommend this book to those who want to further explore transgender or if they are looking for a good read based on self-discovery.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like hopelittle's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”