Review by ParadoxicalWoman -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review by ParadoxicalWoman -- The Altitude Journals

Post by Marissa Michael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the reasons why I am passionate about reading is because by reading you are travelling to places from the comforts of your bed. This book The Altitude Journals by David J. Mauro is not only 'bringing' me to new places but also in conquering the seven summits of the world!

Have you ever wish to climb a mountain but receive disapproval response from your family and friends simply because they think you won't make it? Never crossed in Mauro's mind that he will ever attempted to climb a mountain, let alone in climbing all the seven summits of the world! Yet because of his brother-in-law, Ty Hardt who relentlessly invites him and personal things happened to him, he had no choice but to yield to Ty's invitation.

I like the fact how Mauro who is not athletic like his older brother by two years, has defied the odds by his level of commitment and determination in climbing each mountain. Reading about this has inspired me to make plans to climb mount Kinabalu in my state which is the highest mountain in South East Asia.

Don't get mistaken thinking that this book is solely all about the mountains as it is also explores about types of relationship ranging from family, friendship, and a romantic relationship. Each mountain had given him different insights which made him to reflect things through and to do self-evaluation. For example, when he attempted to climb mount Kilimanjaro, he learnt that he will be emotionally healed when he is facing his problems instead of running away from them.

What I like the most is about Mauro making use of what he has to make a difference in children's life in his area by raising education fund for them because he knew well how was it feel like living in poverty and in deprived of many things. I'm amazed and inspired by that selflessness that not everyone has.

New places as well as the mountains lead you to new people.That is the only difficulty I met with this book in remembering the names of his fellow climbers. As I am bad in keeping in touch, I am in awe with the author for maintaining the bond of friendship or what he termed as 'ozone brotherhood' with his fellow climbers, guides, and a sherpa.

This book appeared to me well-edited as far as I'm concerned except for 1 mistake in spacing between the words like 'servicepeople' instead of 'service people'. However, the mistake did not detract me from my enjoyment in reading this book. Thus, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those who are curious or considering about the idea of climbing a mountain, who is keen about self-development, and to those who has interest in reading autobiographies.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ParadoxicalWoman's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Your review is very informative about this book. It seems like this is a story of aspiring mountaineers who with his commitment and determination in climbing achieves like his dream come true.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

sanjus wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:36 Your review is very informative about this book. It seems like this is a story of aspiring mountaineers who with his commitment and determination in climbing achieves like his dream come true.
True, after reading this book, all of sudden I was inspired to climb the mountain in my state, Mount Kinabalu which is the highest mountain in Southeast Asia only.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

I'm glad to see you rated this book four out of four stars, and I'm happy you got so much out of it! I like the sense of adventure of climbing various mountains around the world!! Thanks for your comments.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your informative review. Climbing and reaching great heights, in both the figurative and literal senses of the concept, is a daunting task indeed. Therefore, those who could face, conquer, and write about such odds are truly noteworthy.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”