Review by rettalyn -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rettalyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rettalyn.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by rettalyn -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by rettalyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ok parents take a trip to the bookstore with me, here we find ourselves standing in front of the children’s section where there are so many different variations of books that it’s kind of overwhelming. So now we are thinking “what’s the difference in what book I choose because they all have the same story line where there is a problem and then there is a solution.” Well let me stop you there, This is absolutely not the case for the book Toni The Superhero by R.D. Base, This book is not only easy for children who are beginning to read but it also teaches children that reading can be fun.

Toni is a superhero but also a kid, who enjoys other day to day activities. The book doesn’t focus on the main character as a superhero but more as a child. The main character can be seen playing with friends, eating healthy meals, doing chores, sleeping, swimming, helping his mom with dishes and many more activities. So even though Toni is a superhero the fact that the author doesn’t put that as the main focus of the book, but puts the focus more on what he does to be more like the children his age and having fun doing these activities, makes me believe that it would encourage children who are reading the book to think that if he is having fun doing chores or if he is having fun outside playing with his friends then I can to.

I think that it’s fantastic that the main character is not only someone that children can easily relate to but that the author also puts a lesson within the book. For Example doing Chores can be just as fun as other activities such as swimming or playing with friends and eating healthy is good for humans and superheroes alike. I admire that the author makes it so that each page contains a short easy to read sentence so that beginning readers can read and follow the story without being overwhelmed.

The Exceptional Artwork that Debbie Hefke has done will appeal to children because now they can clearly see that Toni is a Superhero with a cape, the mask and the whole uniform and it also shows each activity as its being performed so that if a child while reading the book is having trouble on a particular word they can associate the activity with the word. For example jumping, where the reader can now associate the word jumping with character jumping.

This Book has earned 4 out of 4 Stars. Written by a mother of 3 boys and an avid reader since she was young, this author clearly demonstrates what it takes for children to be able to learn to read and have fun while doing it. This book is the first installment in a planned series of books about this young superhero which means we can expect more brilliant books from R.D. Base.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like rettalyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I really enjoyed your introduction to your review. You point out many positive aspects of this book. If I read your review and was going to the bookstore, I would be grabbing this book for a beginning reader. Great job.
rettalyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rettalyn.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by rettalyn »

Thank you kfwilson6. I appreciate the feedback. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”