Review by LaurenHaupt -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by LaurenHaupt -- The Altitude Journals

Post by LaurenHaupt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've just read an exciting book about a man that wasn't afraid to conquer a dream that others might think would be impossible to do. This strong and courageous person is David J. Mauro, who is also the author. The book is called The Altitude Journals.

Have you ever done anything in your life that you were unsure of but decided to take the plunge anyway? Was the award worth the outcome? The Altitude journals is a book about a man that discovered a new passion in life and never gave up in going after what he wanted to do.

At the age of 44, David was going through a difficult phase in his life. He was going through the process of a divorce and wasn't sure where his life was going to lead. While staying at his sister's house and yelling at dolls for judging him, he opens a cardboard tube that is addressed to him. There are two climbing poles that are from his brother in law. His brother in law has been trying to persuade him to climb up Mount McKinley[ Danail] with him, which happens to be the highest summit in North America. For a long time, he had hesitated but now he figures why not? What does he have to lose? After a long but awarding journey of reaching up to the top of Denali, he discovers his love for climbing and gets the courage to climb each of the seven summits.

This book talks about his adventures of climbing each summit. Each summit is completely different from the one before it. Every summit has a different personality and has many new obstacles. While achieving this goal, he also talks about personal demons that he has had to face, taking care of his dad and his personal life at home. He talks about his adventures of online dating and how he came to meet his soul mate.

This book was very enjoyable and easy to read. It is easy to like David and his quirky personality. He is very easy to relate too and you really get to know him on a personal level. He has had a fun and adventurous life and it's fun to read along while he tells you about his experiences up each summit. There are many pictures in the book of him and his friends. I love that they are in there. It adds a personal touch to all of his stories. There is one of him dressed up like a penguin and with his girlfriend dressed up as a snowflake. There is also a great one in the back of the book with just him.

When he talks about climbing each summit you really get the feel of how cold the weather is and what the team had to struggle with. I've learned new information about mountain climbing and also about different cultures around the world. I've learned the dangers of mountain climbing other than falling down one. He talked about the illnesses that you can get at high altitudes and also other ways it can affect your body. He goes into detail about the environment around him and also what he's feeling throughout the climb.

I could relate to the book a little. Growing up in Georgia, I've enjoyed hiking up mountains a lot. I haven't climbed any of the summits but I can understand what it must have been like to finally reach the top of the mountain. It makes you feel great knowing that you didn't give up.

This book taught me that anything can be possible if you have the motivation to do it. Age is not a factor. In his book, there were people that were even older climbing up the summits. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. All you have to do is believe in yourself. This is a nonfiction book but I think it could be a great self-help book because he encourages people to go after their dreams.

There are a few parts of the book that I thought was really funny. One, in particular, was one of the flights to Antarctica. He 's on the plane and while he's on it the navigator falls asleep. When he looks down to see what the navigator is holding, thinking that it is something important, it ends up being a crossword puzzle book. He has a lot of entertaining stories in the book that keeps you interested in his expeditions.

I didn't notice any grammar errors in the story. He writing is very wonderful. He uses easy terminology throughout the book.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a fun book to read. Probably is the best book that I have ever reviewed. I recommend this book to anyone that likes nonfiction novels, adventure stories or has a love for nature. If you are looking for a fiction novel this book is not for you. This book was a real pleasure in reading and I hope people enjoy it as much as I do.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyingbrown:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:16 Probably is the best book that I have ever reviewed.
Wow, those are some powerful words. That sentence alone has my interest piqued. This sounds pretty exciting. I actually like stories about people who climb mountains. It is just so exciting and far from anything I've ever had the nerve to do. Great review. You definitely sell this book.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 11:38
LaurenHaupt wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 18:16 Probably is the best book that I have ever reviewed.
Wow, those are some powerful words. That sentence alone has my interest piqued. This sounds pretty exciting. I actually like stories about people who climb mountains. It is just so exciting and far from anything I've ever had the nerve to do. Great review. You definitely sell this book.
It was honest. You really get to liking the author. Thank you.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

This sounds like an uplifting story. I love to be inspired and I can't wait to read The Attitude Journals.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Raya raymond wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 12:53 This sounds like an uplifting story. I love to be inspired and I can't wait to read The Attitude Journals.
The pictures are pretty great in it also.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I am not a risk taker but I admire David's courage.I might learn one or two things from him.Thanks for the nice review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Nma26 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 10:20 I am not a risk taker but I admire David's courage.I might learn one or two things from him.Thanks for the nice review.
Your welcome.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Glad to find another Altitude Journals fan! I agree one of the best books I have reviewed at this site. The variety of experiences the summits provide are a great backdrop for this book. The author does a great job relating to the readers. Please take a chance on this book!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

jcoad wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 21:42 Glad to find another Altitude Journals fan! I agree one of the best books I have reviewed at this site. The variety of experiences the summits provide are a great backdrop for this book. The author does a great job relating to the readers. Please take a chance on this book!
It was a good book. I enjoyed all the pictures as well. Glad you liked it also. Thank you!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds an inspiring book with climbing tips to boot!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 07:12 Great review, it sounds an inspiring book with climbing tips to boot!
Thank you. The pictures are worth the read also.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”