Review by MRose200293 -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MRose200293
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrose200293.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by MRose200293 -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by MRose200293 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love at your Service follows the story of Randy Love through his young adulthood in England. We watch as he looks for a place to live and for a job, seeing the choices he makes.

The description of this book was very intriguing, and I was immediately drawn in. There were many aspects of the novel that I enjoyed, such as the humour and some of the antics Randy gets into. I also liked the character Michael Goddard. The way he likes to bicker and argue is very accurate to how many people actually are. There were parts that I thought were really interesting and funny too. Along with this, the Index of British Terminology and Slang was very useful, however, it would have been more helpful if the words in the index had a marking to show that they were defined, or footnotes could have been used.

However, there were also many parts that I disliked. I found that Randy was a generally unlikable character. He drinks a lot, lies, and treats women poorly. I understand that is just his character, but he had no redeeming qualities. You cannot connect with him. Also, the story could be difficult to follow. There were characters that were brought up multiple times, yet it was difficult to remember who they were. Through most of the book, there was no real conflict in the story, rather a series of anecdotes with some connecting pieces. Although as the story progressed there was a bit more of an obvious plot, even though it still did not make much sense. I also thought the ending was quite dissatisfying and seemed forced.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While the story was not bad, I did not completely enjoy it. There were interesting moments, yet it could not keep my interest. However, for the most part, it was well edited. There were few to no errors and there were no extremely difficult sentences. There were also some parts that were very funny and enjoyable to read, but the majority of it was difficult to enjoy.

Overall, I did not really enjoy this book, but other people might. I thought it was difficult to read and follow, the characters were mostly unlikable, and there was no obvious conflict or plot. Saying that, there were funny parts and parts that were interesting and enjoyable. While I myself did not like it, I understand that there are people that might.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MRose200293's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”