Review by Nditah -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by Nditah -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Nditah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift to Shift: How Change Brings True Meaning and Happiness to your Work and Life by Jody B. Miller is a non-fiction, self-help motivational book, which seeks to inspire people struggling to find joy or true meaning in their existence. The contents of this book are grouped into four sections containing different set of stories, captioned: Why Shift? When to Shift? How to Shift? And After the Shift?

The heroes interviewed in Miller’s book have different experiences, walks of life, career, and aspirations. Some of the people came from a traumatic childhood, while others were living seemingly comfortable lives but still felt void within. However, they all had to struggle, adjust, and drift through life to attain what they now become. The drift propelled them forward. They were able to embrace life and find fulfillment. All the stories were incredibly fascinating, and I was happy that they were real. It is a nice reminder that there is always hope at the end of the tunnel if one keeps struggling.

Miller introduces every chapter with a quote connected to the story following. At the end, the she summarizes the most significant lessons of each section in a series of points titled Takeaways. I very much love the takeaways as they captured the essence of the section and included good advice for improving one’s life. Apart from the takeaways, this book still has other positive aspects. One of many, was the mixture of gender, nationality, social strata, cultures and beliefs. And also, the book demonstrates through the experiences of the people, that humanities, the intangible aspects of life, determines to a great extend how one truly achieves success and fulfillment.

Miller successfully captures her audience through the book and personally, I felt I was part of the journey all the way. This feeling was the main thing that bonded me to the book. However, I noticed a couple of layout errors in the book. I discovered many one-sentence paragraphs and some sentences that had a paragraph break right in the middle of the sentence. The most displeasing aspect about Miller’s book is the use of distracting interjections. Miller used comments and stories about others to help make her points. The problem is, the comments turn to be too frequent, and too long, so much so that it serves as a distraction from the story rather than buttressing her point. The same applies to Miller’s excessive use of personal details about the people’s physical features in the book, giving it a touch of romance novel rather than a motivational piece.

I would give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to people who do find themselves drifting aimlessly without true purpose. This book can even help those who seemingly successful but are still unsatisfied with life and aspire for something more profound. Even people who are happy with their lot in life may still find this book enlightening since it highlights some other aspects of life they might have never known before. However, I would not rate Miller’s book a 4-star piece because of too frequent distracting interjections.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nditah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

(T)here is always hope at the end of the tunnel.
That's exactly what I believe and really hope to be true. Each of us has our own struggles in life, which could be taken or viewed as simple or complex, small or huge, and easy or difficult depending on the perspective from and through which the realities are viewed. This book seems to provide the answers on how the shift from past to present for a better future could best be achieved. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

Espie wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 21:19
(T)here is always hope at the end of the tunnel.
That's exactly what I believe and really hope to be true. Each of us has our own struggles in life, which could be taken or viewed as simple or complex, small or huge, and easy or difficult depending on the perspective from and through which the realities are viewed. This book seems to provide the answers on how the shift from past to present for a better future could best be achieved. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you very much @Espie. That's very encouraging of you!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for your review. This seems like it would be a helpful book for many people. Everybody has their own struggles in life, some worse than others. Everybody, at times, needs a little help or pick me up, which this book could provide
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Sounds like this book is a profound read. I enjoy reading stories about people from different walks of life and this book definitely moves to my increasing to-be-read list. Thank you for the informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A very informative review! I like how the author categorically provided the advice, and also that the 'takeaways' were useful. Thanks for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Seems like quite an inspirational book. I think we all, sometimes, feel like we're drifting and need to find our purpose. I'm glad this book contains stories and isn't as plain as some self-help books.
Great review, thanks!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think that I would enjoy the fascinating true stories of people from all walks of life who made changes toward success and happiness. I like that the book used quotes and summaries in the takeaways.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems to be very deep book.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”