Review by ljflagg42 -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-flagg.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by ljflagg42 -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

Post by lindsey_flagg »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami, Angela Renatus is a young woman and art historian who is more or less haunted by a lost painting that was supposedly created by the great Leonardo da Vinci. The painting depicts tragic lovers Giuliano Medici and Fioretta Gorini, who have a strange connection to Angela in a way that even she does not understand. While working as an intern at The Getty, Angela begins to have visions and other unexplainable events occur that are tied to da Vinci's piece of art. Around the same time, she meets art detective Alex Caine, who is looking for the very painting that draws Angela.

Together, Angela and Alex set out to find the painting and uncover the mysterious connections between themselves and two sets of unlucky romantic partners from the past, including the subjects of da Vinci’s work of art. As their feelings for each other grow, the two unravel a mystery surrounded in Angela’s mystical connection to times gone by while attempting to stay one step ahead of her greedy, vicious and ruthless former boss, who has his own nefarious desire to find the painting.

I would give The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci 3 out of 4 stars. I found this suspense novel to be entertaining and thoughtful, and I did enjoy the art history and Italian history lessons provided in a captivating way throughout. While I was surprised to find out that this was more of a romance novel than a true suspense novel as advertised, I did not mind that the book leaned toward romance, so long as there were still page-turning mysteries to be uncovered. I also found the more metaphysical aspects of the story to be unique for this type of novel and found them thought-provoking.

There were two aspects of the novel that made it somewhat hard to read at times, which is why it did not receive a full 4 stars from me. The first issue that I noticed was some very uncomfortable comma usage, which had me re-reading sentences throughout the book to fully understand their meaning. The other issue was the robotic way that many of the characters spoke to one another at times, especially Angela. I am a 25-year-old woman from the Midwest with a college degree and a father who worked in the steel industry; Angela is a 27-year-old college-educated woman from the Midwest with a father who was a welder. You would think that we would speak in a similar manner, but Angela speaks more like a chatbot than a human, and at her best she sounds highly pretentious. I understand that she is an art historian, but I have had pompous college professors who spoke more naturally. Similarly, Scordato, Angela’s former boss and the villain of the novel, speaks in such an unbelievably theatrical manner that he resembles a cartoonish villain in a children’s movie at times. If it was not for these flaws in Ami’s writing, the book would have a perfect 4 stars from me because it is such an exciting and unique novel.

I do recommend this book, as it is a very quick read considering the heavy themes involved and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I think women would enjoy it more than men, as the romance is quite heavy and even corny at times, although anyone with a love for mystery, suspense or historical themes will find something to appreciate here. If you are able to read past the flaws that I mentioned, as I tried to do, you will definitely find something you enjoy about Belle Ami’s novel. I’ve been left with enough interest to read more from this author.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ljflagg42's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The dialogue was a huge point of issue for me as well. Most so in the more intimate scenes between Alex and Angela. I like how you refer to the comma usage as "uncomfortable." I didn't particularly notice that, I just like the descriptor. I agree with your 3-star rating. I think Ami needs to consider re-categorizing this novel to appeal to the appropriate audience. Nice review.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 11:33 The dialogue was a huge point of issue for me as well. Most so in the more intimate scenes between Alex and Angela. I like how you refer to the comma usage as "uncomfortable." I didn't particularly notice that, I just like the descriptor. I agree with your 3-star rating. I think Ami needs to consider re-categorizing this novel to appeal to the appropriate audience. Nice review.
Thanks for reading! I'm glad that you enjoyed my review. The categorization is definitely off, not that that in itself really detracts from the novel as it should have been targeted. I'm also glad that someone else noticed that the dialogue was somewhat strange; it just didn't seem like natural communication. Again, thanks for your comments and for reading!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The other issue was the robotic way that many of the characters spoke to one another at times, especially Angela. I am a 25-year-old woman from the Midwest with a college degree and a father who worked in the steel industry; Angela is a 27-year-old college-educated woman from the Midwest with a father who was a welder. You would think that we would speak in a similar manner, but Angela speaks more like a chatbot than a human, and at her best she sounds highly pretentious. I understand that she is an art historian, but I have had pompous college professors who spoke more naturally. Similarly, Scordato, Angela’s former boss and the villain of the novel, speaks in such an unbelievably theatrical manner that he resembles a cartoonish villain in a children’s movie at times. If it was not for these flaws in Ami’s writing, the book would have a perfect 4 stars from me because it is such an exciting and unique novel.
I appreciate very much this kind of reflection. As English isn't my native language, even if I'm able to feel there's something off with the dialogue I can't be sure or pinpoint exactly what it is and you make it very clear with your comparison.
I agree with your overall comments. I enjoyed the romance as well as the mystery but I've read other comments about people being uncomfortable with the erotic scenes, so it's fair to say romance readers would probably enjoy this book a bit more.
Thanks for your review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Seems like a romance book leaning towards mystery. I have enjoyed reading your review. It's a shame about the stilted communication. The plot seems intriguing. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like the piece turns out more surprising than it would have initially seemed to be. I've got no problems with the dialogues' nature as long as they were meant to be as true and truthful as could be. Thank you for your frank review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thanks for pointing out the flaws. I believe a great review has the right amount of pros and cons, and you seem to have completed it well. Thank you for your diverse opinion!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
Mixed feelings on this one but liked your review.
This sounds entertaining to me "While working as an intern at The Getty, Angela begins to have visions and other unexplainable events occur that are tied to da Vinci's piece of art? "
This not so much "but Angela speaks more like a chatbot than a human, and at her best she sounds highly pretentious."
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked the way you summarized Alex and Angela working together to find the missing painting. I too found the book entertaining and interesting. I do not remember the problems you mentioned about the author's writing style. I thought the story moved quite well and kept me interested.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

Lunastella wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 19:26
The other issue was the robotic way that many of the characters spoke to one another at times, especially Angela. I am a 25-year-old woman from the Midwest with a college degree and a father who worked in the steel industry; Angela is a 27-year-old college-educated woman from the Midwest with a father who was a welder. You would think that we would speak in a similar manner, but Angela speaks more like a chatbot than a human, and at her best she sounds highly pretentious. I understand that she is an art historian, but I have had pompous college professors who spoke more naturally. Similarly, Scordato, Angela’s former boss and the villain of the novel, speaks in such an unbelievably theatrical manner that he resembles a cartoonish villain in a children’s movie at times. If it was not for these flaws in Ami’s writing, the book would have a perfect 4 stars from me because it is such an exciting and unique novel.
I appreciate very much this kind of reflection. As English isn't my native language, even if I'm able to feel there's something off with the dialogue I can't be sure or pinpoint exactly what it is and you make it very clear with your comparison.
I agree with your overall comments. I enjoyed the romance as well as the mystery but I've read other comments about people being uncomfortable with the erotic scenes, so it's fair to say romance readers would probably enjoy this book a bit more.
Thanks for your review!
Thanks for reading my review! I'm really honored that you appreciate my clarity. There are many times where even I, as a native English speaker, have trouble putting my thoughts or feelings into words - so I am glad that I seemed to have accomplished that this time, and in a way that helps others.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 04:08 Seems like a romance book leaning towards mystery. I have enjoyed reading your review. It's a shame about the stilted communication. The plot seems intriguing. Great review!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. The communication did spoil the book somewhat.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

Espie wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 05:03 It seems like the piece turns out more surprising than it would have initially seemed to be. I've got no problems with the dialogues' nature as long as they were meant to be as true and truthful as could be. Thank you for your frank review.
Thank you for reading and commenting. It was a very surprising novel with many different literary influences and genres included.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 11:45 Thanks for pointing out the flaws. I believe a great review has the right amount of pros and cons, and you seem to have completed it well. Thank you for your diverse opinion!
You're welcome! Thank you for reading. I think the good points and bad points need to be weighed equally and truthfully, as well.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

fernsmom wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 22:13 Great review! :tiphat:
Mixed feelings on this one but liked your review.
This sounds entertaining to me "While working as an intern at The Getty, Angela begins to have visions and other unexplainable events occur that are tied to da Vinci's piece of art? "
This not so much "but Angela speaks more like a chatbot than a human, and at her best she sounds highly pretentious."
Oh yes, the more supernatural side of the book was very thrilling. The dialogue was more of a miss than a hit for me.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:

Post by lindsey_flagg »

LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 04:55 I liked the way you summarized Alex and Angela working together to find the missing painting. I too found the book entertaining and interesting. I do not remember the problems you mentioned about the author's writing style. I thought the story moved quite well and kept me interested.
I'm sure the issues I had would either not stand out to or not matter to everyone. It was an interesting story, in any case, with some cool history tidbits thrown in.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”