Review by aliwolf -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aliwolf
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliwolf.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Review by aliwolf -- Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by aliwolf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Small Change" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Change by Keddie Hughes is an amazing story about a woman named Izzy. She is a hardworking mother and wife. In the novel, you follow Izzy as she navigates her marriage and motherhood all while a major historical event is happening. She lives in Glasgow and works at a charity that helps people who are financially unstable. Her husband, Jim, is a manager at an alarm company who is trying to win a contract putting in alarms for the local football team. There are many themes in the story including religion, politics, and sports. This is a true story with fictional characters. You get the chance to see how this event touched the lives of many.

I enjoyed this novel greatly. I think the story was written well and the characters were complex. Throughout the story you get a close look at Jim and Izzy’s relationship. It is obvious that it is strained but Jim is oblivious to the issues in their marriage. Jim is an alcohol, which is a large issue, and the subject matter feels very real. Having seen alcoholism first hand, I could not help but feel sympathetic at times for Izzy. There are broken promises, hollow apologies, and awful behavior.

Another aspect of the story that I liked was the structure of the novel. At the end of every chapter there is a conversation between Jim and his therapist. These conversations give you insight into Jim and his part in the story. I think its works this way because you get two sides to the story without having to have separate chapters for each character. I do not think this would work with every story, however, it works really well here.

My main issue with this novel is that I had no sense of time or when the story took place. Having read it now and doing a google search I understand it to be historical fiction. I did not find any date or reference to a date until three quarters of the way through the story. Since the author eventually used dates, I wish she had used them a little earlier in the story. Part of my ignorance might be that it was a local Scottish issue and I am American. However, a frame of reference would have been nice.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. The story did not end the way I thought it would. I kept wanting to come back and finish the story. I liked the element of being a story about real concerns in peoples lives. Although I am not a sports fan, I found that in the end it did not matter because the story was so compelling. As I mentioned above, the writing and the characters were both done really well. I would highly recommend this novel to others.

Small Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like aliwolf's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

This is an informative review that includes enough detail that I can tell I would like to read it. I definitely wouldn't have guessed it was a Scottish setting and event. The title of the book does not indicate at all what the book is about. Thank you for your review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”