Review by Phermone -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phermone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phermone.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Review by Phermone -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Phermone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This novel was an interesting read for the most part but later on, I found myself almost uninterested due to the overload of facts. Heaven and Earth will leave you wondering what to believe in on multiple occasions. Other times these same stimuli left me asking in bewilderment what the heck I was reading. These reactions can be seen as almost the same but the difference is felt like Heaven and Earth. In a nutshell, this disparity comes from writing throughout the story being nothing short of the author’s view of the world at large. This mixture of adventure and ball of information lead to an unconventional story.

This science fiction story seeks to answer the classic question is the human race alone in the universe. Aliens have come to earth to find out how the planet has developed since they left seeds on their last visit. On Earth, a young NASA scientist, an Engineer, CDC scientist and his assisting technician meet after a conference organized by the government. These two groups seemingly unrelated go on a sci-fi adventure where we get a look at the current state of the world that we have inherited.

The best part about the book was with all its deep themes through its exposition it gave one a lot to think about. This could be seen as the knowledge within these pages made one question whether you were eating healthy or even who you could trust. The unending sea of information that was this book is only saved by this fact. The self-reflection aspect is what kept me reading if I am completely honest.

This books main drawback is also its greatest strength in a way. The vast amounts of facts that can be read cause those who read it to at times to put the main story in the back of their head. It is hilarious to even use the word main to even describe the story. I wish I did not find the plot as dry but I can not deny it was not as interesting as it should have been with the alien concept. The fact is that the Author's message is the real star of this book and don't you forget it.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This rating is mainly because I did not completely like it but I know that certain people would. The textbook-like flow of information the semi-interesting story is not what I look for in a book. The author clearly stated his mission early on so I can’t be too disappointed with what was written. The book to its advantage did not have grammatical errors. This book is not something I would recommend to many, its very niche, in my opinion. I recommend this to diehard sci-fi fans and maybe the health buffs of the world would enjoy this book.

Heaven and Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Phermone's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”