Review by Shraddha_rc -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by Shraddha_rc -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

Post by Shraddha_rc »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016 is one of the most amazing novels I’ve read so far. It has 34 stories with two more stories that are graphic novels of already given chapters in the book.

Since it is a collection of short stories, I was a little skeptical to read it, thinking whether all of them will be interesting or if some of them will let my hopes up for nothing. But I must tell you that I never expected to read these kind of stories ever. The fictions were written precisely, dealing with the reality that we live in, not some fairy-tale story. Each and every one of them had a very deep meaning which was not gone unnoticed.

In this book, there is a story of a woman dealing with heartbreak and indecision of whether she should have liked the person in the first place or was it just a mistake; a story of how a boy struggles to help his father in getting her mother to a place where she can be saved from her illness; a story of a man who deals with a judgmental society but gets help from someone he least expected; etc. These fictions had nice plots and dealt with each and every subject of the society we live in.

At some point, I felt that I won’t be able to continue reading this book since it had a lot of sad endings continuously. But I later realized that I should accept the fact that not every story has a happy ending and in real life, we can face such circumstances as were written in the book. I’m not discouraging anyone from reading this novel, in fact I would like everyone to read it for once. It was like an eye opener for me. Till now, I’ve read a lot of fiction novels that had happy endings. I don’t know if any of you do this but I had a habit of reading the ending before choosing the book. It was satisfying if it had a happy ending, but if it wasn’t, then I would skip it.

Choosing this one was not planned. I just wanted to read something different from what I usually read, which are fictions with happy endings. But this book made me intrigued to read other fictions too, which I might have missed reading before. I liked all the stories.

The book contains a few spelling errors like use of articles in a sentence unnecessarily, but that didn’t affect my flow of reading. There are a few chapters where grammatically wrong English is used or words are written to show the accent the character uses. Those chapters were a little bit hard to read but I completed them no matter how long it took me to understand them. At first I thought those chapters needed major editing, but later, I realized that the author had written those dialogues on purpose. I was quite impressed by the effort the author had put in this book to make it seem like they were inspired from real life stories. There was nothing in this book that I didn't like.

All in all, I’d be glad to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I will recommend this to readers of all ages. Only two stories from this book have too much detailing which can be unnerving to read by readers below the age of 18, but it is better if you can skip those stories because other 32 stories are worth reading.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Shraddha_rc's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I usually don't like reading stories with sad endings. I think there's enough sadness and drama in real life to have to read about them even in stories. However, as you mentioned in your review, reading stories with real endings helps the reader to open his/her eyes. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for sharing your ideas about it.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Which stories were your favorites? I loved "The Necklace" and "The Amish girl", but my favorite was "The Miracle of Madame Villard"! It's true that "happy endings" are not Coles' thing that's why I chose these stories as the only romantic and a little optimistic.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

It’s been so long since I got so emotional while reading a book. The stories inside this book really touched me, and I had to rate it 4/4, nothing less. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”