Review by Kaysondra -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaysondra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaysondra.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by Kaysondra -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Kaysondra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Different Kinds of Monsters by Seth Chambers

“The monster is the hero of his own story. They don’t always look like monsters” (Chambers, 315). In The Different Kinds of Monsters, Chambers gives a new perspective to what the reader pictures when they hear the word “monster”. You follow Dylan Armitage as he grows up and lives his life. For his whole life, Dylan has constantly moved and travelled from town to town across the United States. Even after starting a family, he continues to live the Armitage way of life on the road. Dylan has always kept one constant though; Emily the Allosaurus. No matter where he has lived, Emily has always followed. Being a dinosaur lover, Dylan found this comforting…but was it? Dylan rushes to his father when he learns that he has been admitted to the hospital after being attacked. Speaking with his father, he learns his father knows what Dylan had started suspecting about Emily.

Seth Chambers takes his readers through a psychological thriller with a Jurassic period twist that will keep you wanting more. As the reader, you see different kinds of “monsters” and how Dylan handles these situations. Can Dylan overcome these “monsters” and their impact on his life? Or is he doomed due to the past? Only time can tell. Blood calls to blood…

I really liked how Chambers changed the perspective on what a monster is. He also made you connect to some of these monsters, even through their worst mistakes. This connection to the characters made me feel as if I were with them and wanting to learn whether or not they succeed at overcoming obstacles that life is continuously throwing at them.

One thing about the book that was kind of confusing was towards the beginning. Throughout the book, the time periods change between the Jurassic period, Dylan’s childhood, and the present. As you progress through the book, the chapters are labelled better, as well as you better understand the characters and can distinguish the times easier. However, the beginning of the book, the chapters are not labeled, making it more difficult to know what time period you are in until after you read a few paragraphs. This makes it a little confusing and hard to follow until the chapters begin being labeled more regularly as you progress through the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it this rating because it was well written and kept me wanting more as I read. I only rated it a 3 because of the confusing time period switches at the beginning of the book.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kaysondra's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”