Review by FawkesThorn -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by FawkesThorn -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by FawkesThorn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero written by R.D. Base and illustrated by Debbie Hefke is a well written book for young children. The pictures are very colorful and the story is very educational. Beginning readers learn the sight word ‘is’ and have repetitive words to keep the reader going.

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base doesn’t follow the normal plot flow that other children’s books do. It doesn’t have a main story problem that needs to be solved or a major lesson to be learned. With Toni, children learn to read just for the fun of it. The young reader goes through a day with Toni, learning words like ‘superhero’ and ‘terrific’. Both words being a little difficult to read alone. The story goes through the chores Toni does around the house and how helpful he is in the neighborhood.

It’s a definite change on reading for beginners. Unlike most it doesn’t have the rhyming aspect and I for one love that about the story. I also love that fact that it shows the hero doing basic chores, something that kids should be doing and Toni makes them looks fun.

R.D. Base did a great job creating Toni and his ability to help, going through a day helping his mom and having fun playing with his friends. Toni wears the classic superhero costume; cape and mask. The book has a short sentence on each page describing what Toni likes to do along with a full page illustration. For me, the book doesn’t need a plot, in my opinion it helps the child comprehend new words. Anyone can be a superhero, all you need is a goal to reach.

On the other hand, Debbie Hefke did a great job with the colorful illustrations of Toni the Superhero. The pictures are well done. Each picture tells its own story allowing the young reader to play with their imagination. I know that if this was available when my son was just starting to read he would have loved the colorful pictures. He was very interested in superheroes and bright colored books.

I would recommend this book for beginning readers, as well as teachers. Having this in classrooms for preschool and kindergarten would be amazing. I rate this as a 4 out of 4 for the colorful pictures and the beautiful flow of the story. Also this book seemed to be perfectly edited, I didn’t find any flaws.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like FawkesThorn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”