Review by palilogy -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Review by palilogy -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by palilogy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guilt" by David Taylor Black.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was interested by the cover alone to read David Taylor Black's novel called Guilt. I was pulled in by the mystery of the book and the image of a dark hooded figure. The title is simple and strong displayed on the face of the person who is depicted on the cover of the book.

I was further interested in the book once I read the description, a thrilling mystery was placed before my eyes and I wanted to unravel it. I wanted to travel with the characters and figure out just who did the crime when it came to an investigating suspicion of murder. I was intrigued by a book that was explained as more then just your typical mystery story. It had been several years since I had read a good mystery story and I was eager to dive in to something greater.

From the first few pages the tone is set and I was hooked on the story. The author displays a way with words as he described setting and characters, I felt as if I was there among the pages. "Jamie saw the hooded figure spin toward shore, eyes wide in the dusk to see the source of the sound, certainly just as shocked to hear that they weren't alone, the killer and the dead man, and for an instant Jamie was exposed until the lamp from the lighthouse panned around again and drenched and blinded the figure..." From the first few chapters alone, I recognized the author had a knack for details and descriptions. The author makes the scenes come to life in the book and I couldn't wait to read on. I felt connected with the scene and the town, on a level hard to achieve in a fictional novel.

As the story progresses the reader follows along with gripping narration, following the character named Dan Harris (a writer) and the mysteries on the island called Hope Town. It's impossible to summarize the book without giving away spoiling plot points, but there is murder and great suspicion. Dan attempts to clear his name in a murder case, while facing grief and anger from losses. The plot twists and turns as we learn more about Dan and his deceased child. We, as the reader, grow suspicious and that kept me on my toes throughout the pages.

Because I could not put this story down and was gripped by the narrative, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was enjoyable to read and there wasn't a dull moment that dragged on, as several mysteries tend to do. It was the author's skill of craft, great narration and voice which also encouraged me to rate this book highly. It was an enjoyable read that led me wanting more and luckily there will indeed be more to the story. I would recommend this book to fans of mystery, suspense and thrillers. I would recommend this book to people looking for a gripping narrative, that they just cannot put down. I would also recommend this book for people looking to delve into the genre for the first time, it is easy to fall in step with the pages, become enthralled in the characters and to enjoy the mystery.

Guilt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like palilogy's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the lovely review! This seems like a great book with an interesting premise. I'll definitely read it if I get a chance.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Thank you =)
I hope you do get the chance to give it a read!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”