Review by Jessica Reehl -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Jessica Reehl -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Jessica Reehl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Following is a review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarassed, illustrated by Frank Louis Allen]

What started it all? This book is a light-hearted but very scientific look at how certain elements of the universe we know could have gotten started. The author's note is nearly as entertaining as the book itself, as well as being relevant to the story. This book will have you reading and re-reading, while pondering all the piles of information given to understand its content. Much of the story is questions/answers of the skeptical scientific mind which helps break up the science data with explanations. The ending of the story is superb.

The book has a great cover and wonderful artwork throughout. The writing is articulate and thoughtful. I can't say enough about how much I loved the wonderful prose. Each sentence seems to be so carefully crafted to pull you in, entertain you, inspire you, educate you. I especially loved the witty and clever spellings; this really reminded me of Phantom Tollbooth. The author crafts new sayings with cleverly changed spellings to inject new meanings into old sayings. It's brilliant and makes it so enjoyable to read.

The illustrator's artwork is beautiful and thought-provoking, it really opens your mind while you consider all of the scientific possibilities of the author's information. I found his story at the beginning of the book very inspiring.

The science itself reminded me of reading a Stephen Hawking book. It sometimes went over my head but I would love to read this book with a few science friends and ponder all of the ideas presented. That's the kind of book this is - one the skeptical mind will enjoy reading over and over and then discussing.

I especially appreciate the author's question about preconceived notions, "why is it expected to be done that way?" He provides many questions and insightful answers into many things not asked before which makes this book different from most I've read. This type of book is very sought after in the skeptic community. I hope this author writes a lot more books, including an autobiography. I would love to hear more life ponderings like this.

Because there wasn't anything I didn't like about this book, and because the prose was so wonderful, I'm giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to science lovers and skeptic minds. It was a quick read of around a half an hour so I know I'll be reading it a lot more times.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jessica Reehl's review? Post a comment saying so!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I to had to ré and then ré-read things that were presented within this book. It may be a fictional short story but it does give you some food for thought.
Chelsea N. Hackett
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This review has piqued my interest. I'm going to have to look into this book a little more. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”