Review by Nidaconhh -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Nidaconhh -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Nidaconhh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children book written by Len Foley. The story started with Sigfried warning the readers that the book will smell stinky. Indeed, it is!

Sigfried smells something unpleasant. It really bothers him. He wonders if the smell comes from the book he is reading as he sees lots of stuff spilled on it. He keeps on flipping the pages, sniffing and comparing with the stinky smell that really bothers him. Will Sigfried find where the unpleasant smell comes from?

I found the cover of the book can put a cheeky smile on children’s face. The illustration of Sigfried’s miserable face with colourful stinky socks surrounded him on the cover will attract the kids. The catchy title itself will make kids especially boys want to pick the book. My boys will always feel excited to choose books that have ‘smelly’, ‘stinky’, or silly title such as ‘Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid’ or ‘Captain Underpants.’ The photographs in the book are beautifully captured, nicely placed and not too crowded. The illustrations are full of expressions, colourful, simple and yet very clear with the white background.

It is well written by the author. Some texts are rhymes and others with questions. I love the questions part in the children’s book and this book is included. The first question is seeking the children to guess the stinky smell. Other questions only need the children to answer a simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ and yet the final answer will be at the end of the story. This type of book will engage the kids till the end as they eager to know whether their guessed is correct or not.

The book is suitable for kids below 10 years old. Parents should read to children below eight because there are a few hard to pronounce words such as squishy-mushed and disgusting. I would also recommend this book to teachers to read aloud in kindergarten till grade 2. The book can be used to teach children not only about the unpleasant smell of the food when it is left rotten but also about hygiene.

I always love spending time reading books with my kids. I cannot wait to read this book with my smaller children. Though, I prefer the author to spell ‘‘ol’ correctly as ‘old’, I will still rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. At one point, I can imagine the stinky smell that spilled on the book. I found the ending of the story is unexpected and funny too. I believe children will urge their parents to flick through this book many times as it can make them giggles.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nidaconhh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I enjoyed the book too, particularly the page that had to be hosed down.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 03:42 Great review. I enjoyed the book too, particularly the page that had to be hosed down.
Thanks for your support! Really appreciate it.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

After I read it I have second thoughts. It is really funny don't get me wrong, but I'm a little concerned about what this book teaches children to do. Perhaps I'm overreacting but I know how children sometimes copy what they see or read. When I read to children my favorite books are the ones with a beautiful hidden message that will make them think and grow, what do you prefer to read to your children?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”