Review by DorcasToo -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- The Altitude Journals

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Altitude Journals is a nonfiction book. A beautiful story about conquering personal demons to achieve your desires. It's motivational, inspirational, uplifting and informative. David J. Mauro has done a perfect job in narrating his mountaineering experiences. A six-year epic journey that has taken David from his lowest point in life to the highest. He takes us through the seven summits of the world.

The imagery makes you imagine you're there with him through the adventures. Early in life, his parents divorced and he was brought up by his mother. Later, he starts his family. 17 years down the line, he's divorced with two kids (Trevor and Chase). Earlier on, his brother-in-law, Ty Hardt, had requested him to accompany him on an expedition up Denali. With the divorce hanging on his head, amongst many issues, he's facing he finally submits to the quest.

David believes it is a calling, a divine one, that is driving him to do what he does. He begins an adventure of six years full of tears, blood, sweat, love, and battles he's fighting. Through it all, he takes us through steps to acquire self-satisfaction and gratification. As he trains for every quest, he grows stronger not only physically but also emotionally. But above all these, he discovered love once more. As he reaches each summit, he conquers the demons one after the other. This book is well researched, written balanced an so factual. It's practically a bank of information about the 7 summits.

I generally like everything about the book. But what stood out most are three things. One, he gives a background information of everyone he meets, every place he goes and every summit he climbs. Second, his work is even framed incorporated with photographs. They make you get a mental picture of every setting. And finally, he even tackles the environmental impact of mountaineering.

The book is full of humor and satire making the reader to always smile. Emotional moments; the goodbyes, summiting, reunions they made me tear up. I also love Carol, a 65-year old PhD from Salt Lake City, her determination, will, and hope is beyond imagination. The epitome of it all is when he does the Climbing for Kids fundraiser for the local children's club in Bellingham.

I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. The book is well edited with very few errors. I recommend it to all readers; its a good book on growth, hope, faith, and motivation. It's about finding your calling in life.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a great read and I love the use of humour in the book. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I had the option to review this book...now I wish I had chosen it! Nice review.
godwin675
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B01EIVMAPY

Post by godwin675 »

I am going through the book now. But your review sounds great, it gives me courage to build my society with the right type of mindsets.
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

JR Mercier wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 06:02 This sounds like a great read and I love the use of humour in the book. Loved your review.
Thanks foe checking out my review. :tiphat: :tiphat:
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

Julie Green wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 09:07 I had the option to review this book...now I wish I had chosen it! Nice review.
If you get the chance again ensure you review it. Thanks for the compliment.
DorcasToo

Post by DorcasToo »

godwin675 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 21:11 I am going through the book now. But your review sounds great, it gives me courage to build my society with the right type of mindsets.
Glad you are encouraged, thanks for the nice words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”