Review by jcoad -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Review by jcoad -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by jcoad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Altitude Journals tells the true story of an ordinary man who achieves extraordinary results. Dave Mauro is forty-four years old, recently divorced, a financial planner who receives a phone call that changes his life. His brother-in-law calls from Alaska asking him to climb Denali and that starts him on a journey that lasts seven years, touches seven continents and ends with Dave literally standing on top of the world.

The story follows Dave as he rebuilds his personal life around callings to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents. Each mountain provides its own story as you are engulfed in the atmosphere, culture and drama surrounding each trip. You learn about cannibals, how to pull a sled through a snow storm, the history of Everest and even something about Ryan Stiles.

What I liked about the book were the experiences provided by the multiple locations. I was fascinated by how different the experience was at each location. At Kilimanjaro you are in short sleeves looking out over wide open spaces and in Antarctica you can barely leave your down filled sleeping bag. You ride a gondola a portion of the way up Elbrus and you travel with armed guards in New Guinea to deter kidnappers. What I liked most about the book was what felt like the perfect amount of detail. I’m not a mountain climbing expert but the book gave me just enough to understand what was going on but not overwhelm me with technical details. I learned enough about his family and friends to be vested in the story but not enough to drive me away.

What I did not like about the book was the lack of maps or simple guides to help me visualize the location and complexity of the routes. I would have appreciated a map designating locations, altitudes and distances where portions of the story happened. The altitudes and distances are noted in the book as Dave journeys up and up but it would have been nice to have a visual reference.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. You may think all mountains are the same but this book will prove you wrong time and time again. It will keep you turning the pages as you want to learn more, see more and you will wish there were seven more continents to conquer by the time Dave is standing on Everest. I did not give this book 3 stars as I thoroughly enjoyed the book and feel it is written in such a way to appeal to a large audience. I feel the people this book would appeal to the most would be readers who enjoy outdoor activities, geography and adventure stories. I feel the people this book would appeal to least would be romance novel readers.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jcoad's review? Post a comment saying so!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Nice review jcoad. I was surprised, I am enjoying the story more than I expected I would when I first started reading. It is certainly not like a typical romance, and the ideas of romance varies between people, particularly between men and women. But, there was a subtle hint of romance at each meeting after a successful climb. I thought the most romantic moment happened when the climbing team let a particularly special woman summit before them. I liked that part of the story so much, I looked her up from the details David supplied in his book.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Great point about helping the woman make sure she became the oldest woman to climb all 7 summits when she reached the top in New Guinea. Looking back on the book now I agree, that was a really cool part of the book. My favorite part of the non-climbing portions were the costumes at each airport. That would be a great thing to look forward to with each return.
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

Any other Altitude Journals fans out there?

This is easily the best book I've read on Onlinebookclub and I would love to hear others thoughts on this book.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Enjoyed the book as well. Especially the pictures. I enjoyed hearing about his journeys. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 23:06 Enjoyed the book as well. Especially the pictures. I enjoyed hearing about his journeys. Great review!
Glad I found at least 1 other fan, thank you for the comment!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like adventure books and this one sounds really good. I'm adding it to my 'want to read' shelf. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
jcoad
Currently Reading:

Post by jcoad »

BookReader+6 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 08:12 I like adventure books and this one sounds really good. I'm adding it to my 'want to read' shelf. Thanks for your review!
This is literally my favorite book I've read since joining this site. The diversity in experiences for each peak was really cool. Let me know if you read it. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”