Review by Gikonyo Caroline -- Brand Real

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Review by Gikonyo Caroline -- Brand Real

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Brand Real" by Vasken Kalayjian.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

”Above all, figure out what your story is and tell it consistently, as confusion kills sales and companies.” This is a memorable quote by Peter Drucker a renowned management guru that captures aptly the essence of this branding handbook. Just like your personal name is an important identification symbol helping to differentiate you from the masses, a brand-name is a make or break factor in the success of a startup. An authentic unique brand name gives the startup a competitive edge by helping it stand out in a crowded marketplace.

Brand Real: The Startup Entrepreneurs’ Guide To Effective Branding And Building Values-Based Organizations is a, twenty-seven chapter, three hundred and thirty four page nonfictional book. It is designed as a handbook to guide startup entrepreneurs by offering them tools, tactics and strategies on building an authentic brand. This book begins by a description of what branding entails by outlining the twelve essential qualities of a brand and the value of branding. It describes the criteria that successful branding must meet and what it entails to build a successful and effective brand identity. The book describes how to create or select a great and unique brand name and how to tell a compelling powerful story that communicates your brand promise. In this book the reader learns the importance of market research to branding and how to conduct out a S.W.O.T analysis for your business. The impact of languages and cultures on brand names and branding is addressed which is very important when operating in a global economy. The book includes many GK Brand illustrations to enable the reader grasp the content better. As they say,” A picture is worth a thousand words.”

Brand Real is authored by Vasken Kalayjian who is an award winning global branding expert as well as the Chief Executive Officer and brand architect at GK brand ,Tribe Global. With thirty years’ experience working for fortune 500 companies, start-ups, governments and non-for-profit organizations he is best placed to author this book.

I loved that Vasken tapped into the knowledge and expertise of various thought leaders whom he has worked with to give insights in areas such as crisis management. He has also gone beyond his call of duty to include content and tools that are not part of branding but necessary in launching and running a successful startup. These bonus sections appear in the appendices and include how to write a business and marketing plan as well as legal issues surrounding intellectual property rights. This is great because I got to not only learn about branding but also equipped myself with necessary knowledge that will help me in effectively running my startup. I loved that this book includes the voices of leading experts in various fields so I not only learn from the author’s knowledge and expertise but also glean from the greatest minds in the industry whom I may never have a chance to meet face to fact, atleast not at a cost I can afford. I also loved the summary at the end of every chapter in the book where he recaps the major points covered. In the summary there are also exercises which enable the reader put into practice the knowledge learnt which is a fantastic way of engraving the content in the reader’s memory. The book has many memorable quotes such as “Products are made in the factory. Brands are built in the mind”, by Walter Landor. Vasken’s passion to mentor startup entrepreneurs is vivid and exemplary.

I found some grammatical and spelling errors in this book. For instance ‘fess up’ instead of ‘face up’. There’s also the unnecessary use of commas with the conjunction –and- . However the errors do not distract from the rich content and nuggets of wisdom shared.

I would recommend this book those who are thinking of launching a startup or entrepreneurs who are seek to give their startups a competitive advantage. I would also recommend this book to lecturers or professors teaching entrepreneurship or business related courses to students in the universities.

This book easily earns 4 out of 4 stars because Vasken Kalayjian has spared no expense or effort towards equipping me with the knowledge I need to effective launch and run my startup in this career. He has mentored and equipped me on branding and on becoming a great entrepreneur. In the psychozoic age or the age of the mind ignorance is not bliss. I agree with the author’s quote that “Everything begins in the mind. Everything is mind.”

Brand Real
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Gikonyo Caroline's review? Post a comment saying so!
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Thanks for your review. I had thought of reading it but some reviews said the information wasn't very useful for the small entrepreneur. So it looks like you disagree with that? I might give this book a go, based on your review.
Gikonyo Caroline

Charlaigne wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 18:23 Thanks for your review. I had thought of reading it but some reviews said the information wasn't very useful for the small entrepreneur. So it looks like you disagree with that? I might give this book a go, based on your review.

Thank you Charlaigne for your feedback.
sure have a go at it. I think the basic principles of branding are same across board and am sure you will gain many insights on branding and other areas such as business plan that don't fall under branding but are essential to entrepreneurship
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Interesting review. Sounds like it was really informative for building a small business. While it would be a book I probably should read as a small business owner, books like this bore me. I'm glad you were able to take so much information from it though!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Gikonyo Caroline

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 16:56 Interesting review. Sounds like it was really informative for building a small business. While it would be a book I probably should read as a small business owner, books like this bore me. I'm glad you were able to take so much information from it though!
Thank you Eryn for your honest feedback. Yes I did find the book enriching. Perhaps you should read it with a disruptive strategy e.g read bits starting with simpler chapters and summaries. Have a notebook to keep you engaged
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Interesting to read your review as I too have just read this book. I was a little more critical, but I absolutely agree with you that the advice and tips are very practical for any aspiring entrepreneur.
Gikonyo Caroline

Julie Green wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:31 Interesting to read your review as I too have just read this book. I was a little more critical, but I absolutely agree with you that the advice and tips are very practical for any aspiring entrepreneur.
Thank you Julie Green for your honest feedback. I am glad you found the book useful and practical to entrepreneurs.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Not a book for me but one I may pass along to others! Thanks for the review!
Gikonyo Caroline

Julie Green wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 15:31 Interesting to read your review as I too have just read this book. I was a little more critical, but I absolutely agree with you that the advice and tips are very practical for any aspiring entrepreneur.
thank you Julie Green for reading my review and for the positive feedback am humbled
Gikonyo Caroline

Abigail R wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:42 Not a book for me but one I may pass along to others! Thanks for the review!
thank you Abigail for your honesty and for reading the review even if you do not like the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”