Review by meadhbh -- Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Review by meadhbh -- Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by meadhbh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Going Gone" by Abraham Lopez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do a highly-trained assassin, the vice-president of the United States of America, a young boy looking to make some extra cash for his family, and an AI military defence system have in common? They are all somehow involved in a series of events which will change the world as we know it. Going Gone by Abraham Lopez is at times fast-paced, at times more introspective, but it is always gripping.

This is a dystopian novel with a twist. Unlike most novels in this genre, which are set after the world-shattering event has already occurred, Going Gone offers a glimpse into the lives of eleven different characters while this event is actually happening. Essentially consisting of a series of short stories covering a timespan of about a year, each one follows a different person experiencing this end-of-days scenario. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I will say, while this definitely falls into the category of science-fiction, it’s scary how possible much of it seems.

I loved everything about this book. I actually read the sample when it was Book of the Day and bought it immediately. Right from the first chapter, which follows an assassin sent to kill a beloved political leader in the Middle East, you are sucked into the action. I started and finished it within two days. What Lopez does best, however, is character creation. Not all the stories are as fast-paced as the first, but each of them manages to give you a deep insight into the person or people they follow. Often, even full-length novels struggle with this, so it’s particularly impressive that Lopez manages to do this in a short story collection.

There wasn’t a single chapter I didn’t enjoy, but a few stood out in particular. “Jessie and the LARGOnauts” tells the story of an undercover journalist who finds herself in too deep with a doomsday cult. “Hollywood Ending” follows a former celebrity comedian and talk show host, who finds himself trapped in a nightmare situation reminiscent of The Purge. “DaRWIn’s Dilemma” is an almost philosophical reflection on humanity and artificial intelligence. While all three chapters are very different, each is exquisitely written and would easily hold-up outside the context of this anthology.

The final chapter is the only one that does not focus on a particular person, and perfectly wraps up the book as a whole. It fills in almost all the blanks left by the other chapters and offers a glimmer of hope. Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The only complaint I can make is that I did notice a few errors, and there was one chapter that I didn’t feel fitted in particularly well with the others but was still enjoyable on its own. I recommend this to anyone who likes short story collections, political thrillers, or apocalyptic scenarios. Fair warning, while the story is wrapped up at a macro level, we don’t actually find out specifically what happens to most of the individual characters, so if that is something that’s likely to bother you this book might not be for you.

Going Gone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like meadhbh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Wow, a book containing action, politics, multiple characters that develop perfectly in brief segments and a conclusion tying everything together sounds extremely impressive. I'll have to look into this one. Awesome review! :)
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I will definitely be checking out this one. It sounds like such an intense and complex plot, I think I have to read it. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Sci-fi is always interesting because what was considered sci-fi 30 years ago is plausible today. It sounds like a very interesting book though, I might have to read it. Thank you for your review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think the idea of several stories that tie together in the end is really unique and interesting.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Great review... and I like the concept of the book with multiple stories too. I might give it a try!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, you’ve really sold it to me, I like a good dystopia, especially when they feel credible.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”