Review by Shrabastee -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing, the second book in the Bad Boy Vibes series continues the tale of Anna Simmons and Rafe Brown from the first book. Both victims of past sexual abuse, Anna and Rafe eventually find solace in each other, living on a military base with their friends. But try as they might, they are unable to escape the ghosts of their past that come back to haunt and even to reclaim them. As a dangerous truth about Rafe is revealed, the duo tries to halt the impending marriage between Rafe's aunt and Anna's rapist with the help of Suzie, a luscious young maid.

The author has dared to venture into sensitive issues such as rape, sexual abuse, and gay rights and has drawn several strong characters to carry the plot. Anna's character shows surprising strength and undaunted nature although bordering on being impulsive and obsessive when Rafe is concerned. Another important character is Pat Cash, Rafe and Anna's gay friend, whose hesitation over confessing his proclivities to his parents is a painful reminder of how a major part of our society looks down upon homosexuality.

Apart from the above-mentioned points, the book managed to disappoint me on several fronts. Keeping in mind the sensitive nature of the subject matter, I was expecting a more mature tale. While the story showed the victims' agony and their feeling of vengeance, the author did not seem to portray them with enough authenticity. Also, Rafe and Anna's mutual obsession seemed unreal and bordered on being unhealthy.

The pace of the story left much to be desired. Even after going almost halfway through the story not much had happened except for Rafe and Anna breathing each other’s' names every few minutes and a few fights with occasional entries of the Prestons and Eric Dayton (rapists of Anna and Rafe, respectively). When the story finally began to unroll, even then it felt too haphazard.

The cover did not do justice to the book. While the book dealt with serious issues such as sexual abuse, the cover indicated something of a more erotic nature that might put some readers off. Also, the covers for all three books in this series were almost alike. I believe a little variation would have done better.

The language seemed unnecessarily dense, overly dramatic at some places and repetitive at others. I felt myself slipping off times and again. Sometimes, even with a good storyline, the reading experience becomes cumbersome because of the writing style. I was going to say this was one of those experiences, but to be honest, I did not care much for the storyline either.

I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. As for grammatical and printing errors, it contained very few. Considering the subject matter I believe this could have been made into a serious book, but Heartaches 2 was simply not what I hoped for. However, fans of the romance genre might like to read this. While this book is mainly for young adults, this is in no way suitable for the much younger audience because of its contents.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Oh boy, half of a book spent with the main characters breathing each other’s names. I don’t think I would have made it through to the end. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 06:54 Oh boy, half of a book spent with the main characters breathing each other’s names. I don’t think I would have made it through to the end. Great review.
Thank you for taking the time to read the review. I made it through the book with immense difficulty. The imagery that came to my mind while reading was that of struggling through a muddy swamp, neither being able to make a good pace nor seeing the destination anywhere nearby!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I couldn't agree with you more about the book. The plot or lack thereof was boring. It wasn't until the middle of the book when it started getting a little bit interesting. I think I'm going to give it three stars. The end left me wondering about the next book which I like.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

LaurenHaupt wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 23:29 I couldn't agree with you more about the book. The plot or lack thereof was boring. It wasn't until the middle of the book when it started getting a little bit interesting. I think I'm going to give it three stars. The end left me wondering about the next book which I like.
I still want to stay away from Heartaches 3. This book had me frustrated. It could have been a very interesting book, but in my opinion, it just wasn't!
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Romantic genre is my favourite genre. I have read H.M.Irwing books and I always liked his style of writing.
---
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I've also read and reviewed this; you sum it up very well. The weirdness of Anna and Rafe's relationship and the haphazard plot were definitely problematic.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Bavithra M wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 00:19 Romantic genre is my favourite genre. I have read H.M.Irwing books and I always liked his style of writing.
That is why it is said "no two persons ever read the same book"! Glad that you liked Irwing's books, Bavithra! Personally, I am not much keen on romance. Just a little point though, Irwing is a she, if I am not wrong?
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 09:34 I've also read and reviewed this; you sum it up very well. The weirdness of Anna and Rafe's relationship and the haphazard plot were definitely problematic.
I was in a state trying to read this. Not really keen on romance, this book has made me want to stay further away from this genre. Thanks for your comment!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Bavithra M wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 00:19 Romantic genre is my favourite genre. I have read H.M.Irwing books and I always liked his style of writing.
Thanks for stopping by!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This isn't the piece I'd go for at the moment, but thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author has dared to venture into sensitive issues such as rape, sexual abuse, and gay rights and has drawn several strong characters to carry the plot. Anna's character shows surprising strength and undaunted nature although bordering on being impulsive and obsessive when Rafe is concerned. Another important character is Pat Cash, Rafe and Anna's gay friend, whose hesitation over confessing his proclivities to his parents is a painful reminder of how a major part of our society looks down upon homosexuality.

Apart from the above-mentioned points, the book managed to disappoint me on several fronts. Keeping in mind the sensitive nature of the subject matter, I was expecting a more mature tale. While the story showed the victims' agony and their feeling of vengeance, the author did not seem to portray them with enough authenticity. Also, Rafe and Anna's mutual obsession seemed unreal and bordered on being unhealthy.
I reviewed this book too.
I think the author was courageous to approach such difficult topics and, while the story is not perfect, it does show the devastating aftermath of abuse. Which brings me to Anna's relationship with Rape: it is, in fact, unhealthy. But I don't think the author's intention was to portray a healthy relationship but a bond between two broken individuals.
However, I do agree the cover is deceiving. Books that deal with this kind of topics should give the reader a clue because some people can be very sensitive to these issues.
I loved reading a different perspective on this book, thank you.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Rafe and Anna's relationship doesn't sound too healthy, and they both have been through trauma and abuse. The book touches on a lot of sensitive issues and topics that would be difficult to address.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”