Review by LaurenHaupt -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by LaurenHaupt -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by LaurenHaupt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was watching a movie with my children yesterday called,"Drop dead Fred". In the movie, Fred, who is imaginary, was yelling at his friend Lizzy because she was miserable. He was telling her that in order for him to go home again she had to be happy. So he asked her why doesn't she get happy. That scene reminded me of the book I was reading called From Drift to Shift. The book is written by Jody B. Miller.

From Drift to Shift is a self-motivational book. It encourages readers to make changes in their lives if they are in not so great situations. Why stay miserable or stressed out about whatever situation you're in when you can do something about it to improve it. This book encourages us to not be afraid of change that instead to embrace it. In the end, it can be worth fighting for. The story is broken down into several parts. It explains why we should shift, how to shift, when to shift, and what we should do after we shifted. This book contains several stories of strong individuals who after having many hardships in their lives, weren't afraid to take a risk in order to become happier and more successful. These people are strong and courageous and their stories are inspirational.

I've enjoyed reading this book a lot. It has encouraged me to take a look at my own life and see what I could improve on. This author is very optimistic and motivates you into doing what you can do to find happiness. I loved the stories of these brave people and groups of people that were in this book. All of them have unique situations that they were in but they decided to do something about it to improve their lifestyle. The author asks them important questions while she tells us their stories about how they made it through the hard times they were in.

There is a lot of scripture of the Bible that is in the book. It seems to blend in with their stories. Also at the end of each chapter, there is a Takeaway section, that is full of positive quotes that you can live up to. One of my favorites quotes that are in in the book says,"Pay attention to your dreams: they will help you make sense of your current situation and learn how to move forward". All the quotes are uplifting and they can help make light of any current situation that you are in.

Throughout the book, the author also talks about the situations she has been in her own life. She provides a little humor which is nice. You really get to know the author and how she is as a person as well.

Near the end of the book, the author provides an appendix, a section you can take notes if you needed to, and resources that you can fall back on in each chapter. There are also extra chapters in the end that can be useful. Such as how to deal with complainers in your life and how to live your fairytale. She provides a challenge at the end that has to do with meeting someone new every day for six days.

Although I did find some grammar errors that were mostly misspelled words the book was very easy to read and the stories are memorable. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who is unhappy with a situation in their life. It is a great self-motivator and makes you want to get up and do something about what is making you feel down. For someone who is not into self-motivational books might find this book a little boring and may prefer another genre instead.

I think Jody is a great author and it is easy to tell that she has a huge passion when it comes to helping others.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyingbrown:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Pay attention to your dreams: they will help you make sense of your current situation and learn how to move forward
This is a beautiful quote.
This sounds like a very inspiring read filled with beautiful insights. Thank you for the great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Many of us are not ready for changes and will try to avoid it at all costs, especially the negative ones. Thank you for your wonderful review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

JR Mercier wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 06:09
Pay attention to your dreams: they will help you make sense of your current situation and learn how to move forward
This is a beautiful quote.
This sounds like a very inspiring read filled with beautiful insights. Thank you for the great review.
Thank you. I have crazy dreams so that quote was very interesting to me.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

crediblereading2 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 14:01 Many of us are not ready for changes and will try to avoid it at all costs, especially the negative ones. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Thank you. I don't like change a lot. I have a set way of doing a lot of things.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. There are an awful lot of motivational books out there, so it’a good that you’be found a valuable one.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Helen_Combe wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 23:02 Great review. There are an awful lot of motivational books out there, so it’a good that you’be found a valuable one.
[/quote Thank you!
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I always take any chance I have to read a motivational book. This sounds like one I'd love. Amazing review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Raya raymond wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 12:55 I always take any chance I have to read a motivational book. This sounds like one I'd love. Amazing review.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”