Review by Kitten69 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kitten69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitten69.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Kitten69 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kitten69 » 07 Jul 2018, 16:32

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi "2 out of 4 stars"

I chose to read this selection for the thought of learning of new books to read the younger children in my family, for bedtime stories. I figured if it was something that I liked, I could pick up a copy of the book. The plot was good and I enjoyed reading it for that, but thought that it could have been a little more detailed and followed the main character a little closer if wishing to reach the targeted audience. I think it is something that the lower age range of children of 5 and under would be interested in. The kids in my family do love their animals and it will interest them to have this book. The illustrations were nice and familiar and the book was different than most stories for kids, ultimately refreshing in idea and content; most of the children's books that I have seen focus on the younger kids when writing of animals and in truth this is the feeling that I get when reading this story. It is not laid out in the mature manner for the intended audience and is somewhat simple which would lead me to believe that older children will become bored easily.

This book begins with the tale of a female Siberian kitty named Inca, who decides to begin a diary and longs to be a great detective in the world of cats and dogs and the fame that is associated with her fantasy of realizing her big dreams. The adventure begins with Inca and her family moving from Paris, next door to a cat named Monk that lives with a golden retriever named Terrance and the world-famous detective human that they own named Solo. Inca seeks ways in which to begin her adventures and be well known for her detecting skills, and through her adventures gains some of what she is seeking. While the main story line involves Inca and her dreams the story takes a twist when another character is the one who takes the grand adventure, in the end Inca realizes some things about herself and her life and is happy with how things have turned out.

For this particular book it seems to be set as the beginning of a series, which is exciting to think that there may be more adventures that lie ahead. In the beginning of the book the author leads you into the story introducing the characters and letting you get to know a little about each one, which I think is the basis of a good story. You have to be able to get to know the characters and the world that they live in, in order to understand and imagine yourself included in the story itself. The transition from character introduction to the story itself lacks a bit, in the fact that the author does not smoothly transition into the background of when and why Inca desired this; but jumps right into the story of it all beginning the first day of the diary more or less, rather than before the diary begins. I am of the curious sort and would rather start with how this all came about for Inca, rather than jumping into the middle of it, and knowing the younger members of my family they will ask the same questions.

The book starts strong in the story line and begins with an air of excitement and fascination, making your imagination race toward the obvious conclusion of the amateur sleuth beginning her new career. From the early stage, the story lends an air of excitement and intrigue as Inca dreams of her fame and really makes you think that this will happen, only to disappoint later on when in fact it is really a different character that gets to go through the grand adventure and relay it to the group. Inca does get to do some of the detecting that she dreams of, but only to a small degree and I truly felt that the books main character should have gotten to share in the much greater excitement or at the very least her adventure should have been the one to include all the other characters, with her as the main sleuth; instead of separating the characters into different adventures.

I was disappointed at the overall target the author was going for, when completing the book; it was a bit simple and scrambled and certainly not something I felt was a good fit for the intended group. The age group that the book is intended for is a not necessarily an appropriate target, as in today's society kids become bored very easily and are more prone to lean toward technology rather than books; I do however feel that a bit younger crowd would be very intrigued. The title and illustration alone would be enough to draw attention to a child of say 5. I currently read bedtime stories to the younger children in our family and I focus on books like the Monster High series and so forth, for kids that are in the age group of 2 to 8.

I found a good deal of grammatical errors and thought that the formatting needed work for sure. The formatting left little to be excited about, it is crowded and confusing and certainly would lose any child. It was jumbled in places and made it difficult to follow along the story line. I found it difficult to believe that this was professionally edited. I found multiple mistakes in the book as well, starting with the 'about the author' the word effects being misspelled, and following into grammatical errors. For examples, in many cases the author would begin a quote, only to leave it hanging open and not closing it ("Solo brought home some news that would send Polo over the moon, if it turns out to be true) ("From the brief description, Solo suspected that it may be the Senora's husband Raoul) {no closing punctuation} Page 29. There were also a few spaces in which a word was not placed in the sentence where it should have been, which left the sentence unfinished [The best-known detective in the planet] {should have the word - kitty: and the word in should have been on} Page 13. Then there are the mistakes in wording where the author used a specific word in the sentence that did not necessarily fit properly (Then I had got to know Terrance myself, we kitties had a poor opinion of dogs but Terrance was someone that even us cats had grown to like and respect) {should have read - Then I had gotten to know Terrance myself, we kitties had a poor opinion of dogs; but Terrance was someone that us cats had grown to like and respect} Page 25. Lastly I noticed that the author tended to break her sentences with a bunch of slashes and these made the sentence difficult to follow as well, this is not proper grammar; the use of these is meant to create an occasional pause and assist in emphasizing usually between two words, yet there were several of these throughout the first few pages and I found them to be unnecessary (There was nothing there - just darkness with a little light from the large luminous moon overhead) {the slash is not necessary here} Page 19 - (Don't get me wrong - most cats are naturally intelligent. But I had noted that Monk was brainier than most of the kitties I have met) {the slash was not needed to emphasize here, and the period should have been a coma between intelligent and but, plus the word had between I and met should have been have} Page 21. The last thing that I thought was that this book in current format was 176 pages long and it certainly could have been shortened with the proper formatting.

I would give this book “ 2 out of 4 stars ." I did not give it a rating of 1 star because I really liked the idea behind the story and the fact that it revolves around animals; I am a big animal lover myself and have kitties of my own, which I often wonder what they think and dream of. The author seems to have a good take on a story that would definitely interest children and I think that this is the kind of book that our children should be reading and building their imaginations on. I also think that this would be a great foundation for building a series around and helping the kids’ dream of what may come next for Inca and her furry group. It is innocent and full of wonder and thought provoking material; if the imagination is there. I did not give it a rating of 3 stars simply because of the level of difficulty in following the story with the errors found and the fact that I think it targeted to the wrong age group. If the author were to correct the errors and spice the story up a bit, putting a little detail and excitement into the adventure, while following the main character more rather than shifting back and forth between all characters then this would be something different altogether.

Overall, I really did like the story and most definitely will be looking to see if there are more to follow. The plot of the book was a good read and the story was cute, but again not for the intended age group. I see this as a good bedtime story for the younger crowd and something that would be enjoyed more by this age group. Outside of the issues that I found, I would still recommend this to parents who are looking for fresh stories to read to their kids.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kitten69's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”