Review by Miriam Molina -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 522
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Miriam Molina -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Miriam Molina » 07 Jul 2018, 12:50

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Up, up and away!" attributed to Superman in the 1940's radio serial

Toni the Superhero introduces Toni, a young black boy with extraordinary powers. The book showcases how Toni spends his off-days when he is not doing his superhero duties. Author R.D. Base and illustrator Debbie Hefke show Toni doing everyday fun activities, fourteen of them. This book is perfect for its target audience of very young readers: babies to preschoolers. The tots will see activities that they are familiar with (eating, playing and sleeping), learning moments (reading and drawing), leisure time (singing and dancing) and opportunities to serve others (doing household chores and rescuing animals).

The book has many positive subliminal messages for both the tutor and the child. Even important people such as superheroes like doing ordinary things. It is fun to spend time with family and friends. Helping others is a delight. Eating healthy and exercise are enjoyable. Color is no issue; black or white people can be whomever they dream to be.

The author is black and the mother of three young boys. We don’t have much information about the illustrator. I believe both are to be commended for the finished product. The pictures are vibrant, and even little kids can easily identify most of the activities being done. The repetitive text allows young readers to be familiar with the words and gain confidence in reading and phonics. The use of the word “like” is very clever; it is contemporary and denotes enjoyment.

I have read many glowing reviews of this book, and it was easy to jump on the bandwagon of admirers. However, a careful scrutiny revealed some areas where the book may be improved, especially as it is the first in the series.

The text was generally error-free, but I found two words which were erroneously capitalized: “superhero” on page 7 and “terrific” on page 25. Books for children, especially one for those just beginning to read, should be grammatically flawless.

I like the amateurish appeal of the drawings. Children can easily draw Toni themselves. However, as he is the main character whom kids will follow through the series, Toni’s look should be consistent. Toni is shown smiling throughout the book, even in bed. He is mostly shown with gleaming teeth, except on page 20. His yellow boots are shown with blue toecaps only on page 5.

Some items in the pictures are drawn out of realistic proportion. The microphone and apple juice container are too large; the cat is, too. The carrot is a miniature size compared to the broccoli flowers. The fruits which I presume to be oranges aren’t orange; the watermelon seems pale.

Many parts of Toni’s home are shown. His bed has a curtained window behind it, but this detail is missed on page 24. The window behind the kitchen sink is also inconsistently placed.

While most of the pictures obviously show what Toni likes to do, the “swim” and “dust” pages are not as clear.

While the book is silent, the lady in the house appears to be Toni’s mother. Maybe the author can consider including a father, too. A dishwashing daddy would send a resounding message. And giving Toni’s age could be a good addition.

I award this charming picture book 3 out of 4 stars. Without the exceptions noted above, it would surely merit the perfect rating. It is a wonderful book for little children to look at while their tutors read to them. It is also an appropriate starter book for preschoolers. Adults who need stress relievers can very well enjoy it, too. After all, who doesn't need a hero?

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 233
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading: A Summer Again
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Shepherding Cassie by Michael Oborn
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 09 Jul 2018, 10:23

My word! You picked up on details that passed me by. I was proud of myself for noticing the depth marker on the swimming pool. Great review as always.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Miriam Molina

Post by Miriam Molina » 09 Jul 2018, 11:07

Thanks for dropping by, Helen. I wanted to read the book because of the many raving reviews. But it was too pricey at USD10. So I had to write a review and say something new.

No regrets, however. Toni is a lovable superkid.

Bianka Walter
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Lily's Awakening by Omni Delano
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 09 Jul 2018, 12:59

I have read through so many of these Toni reviews, and you have managed to find new and unique things to point out. Good work! I feel like you need a star.
Thanks for another great review, Miriam :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

kfwilson6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: King's cage
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by kfwilson6 » 09 Jul 2018, 16:11

I second Bianka! I didn't notice any of those illustration errors. I didn't notice the depth market Helen pointed out. I only caught the pictures of Toni hanging in the living room and the Super Crayons. I assumed the capitalization of Terrific and Superhero were intentional, but I see your point about flawless text.

Miriam Molina

Post by Miriam Molina » 09 Jul 2018, 17:39

Bianka Walter wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:59
I have read through so many of these Toni reviews, and you have managed to find new and unique things to point out. Good work! I feel like you need a star.
Thanks for another great review, Miriam :)
Thanks for the kind words and the star, Bianka Walter!

Miriam likes to read sweet comments.

Miriam Molina

Post by Miriam Molina » 09 Jul 2018, 18:12

kfwilson6 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:11
I second Bianka! I didn't notice any of those illustration errors. I didn't notice the depth market Helen pointed out. I only caught the pictures of Toni hanging in the living room and the Super Crayons. I assumed the capitalization of Terrific and Superhero were intentional, but I see your point about flawless text.
Kids have sharp eyes. Every inch of the illustrations will matter for them. I'm sure they will find things to ask that the tutor would never expect.

Thanks, Kfwilson6!

ButterscotchCherrie
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 39
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Lesen als Medizin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Mermaids of Earth by Philip M. Jepsen

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 12 Jul 2018, 15:17

[

Kids have sharp eyes. Every inch of the illustrations will matter for them. I'm sure they will find things to ask that the tutor would never expect.

Yes! You noticed many details that other reviewers apparently didn't but kids would study all the illustrations. They might not realize what "dust" means if the picture is not all that clear. Thanks for an enjoyable review.

Miriam Molina

Post by Miriam Molina » 12 Jul 2018, 15:31

The dusting Toni looks like he's dancing with pompoms.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, mi amiga!

ButterscotchCherrie
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 39
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Lesen als Medizin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Mermaids of Earth by Philip M. Jepsen

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 12 Jul 2018, 15:50

Miriam Molina wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 15:31
The dusting Toni looks like he's dancing with pompoms.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, mi amiga!
De nada! LOL. I bet if my daughter had read this, she would have said "She's dusting!" if she had seen a cheerleader.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”