Review by Iviss -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by Iviss -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Iviss »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surgeon's Wife is a book written by William H. Coles, a former ophthalmic trauma surgeon. Despite the fact that it is less than 200 pages long, the book explores various themes and issues, such as treason, infidelity, doctors' incapacity, class problems, gender issues, murder and suicide. Some of the questions raised in the story are: Can surgeons love? Should we listen to our mind or heart? What happens when we fail to resist certain situations?

The central point of the book is the conflict between two surgeons, Mike Boudreaux, a chief of surgery, and Clayton Otherson, his former mentor and friend. Mike's life becomes complicated when he needs to correct a life-threatening mistake made by Clayton and save patient's life. On one hand, he wants to do what is right and remove Clayton from the operating room, but on the other hand, he doesn't want to betray Clayton as he feels deep respect and gratitude for him.

The crucial moment in the book ocurrs when Mike falls in love with Clayton's young and beautiful wife Catherine. The two of them start an affair, but things go badly, for they are forced to cope with lots of problems and complications, including Clayton's madness and her mother's illness and suicide. Moreover, the story takes place in New Orleans, a society which was highly judgmental of immoral actions and which put women in a subversive position.

What I liked most about the book is that all the characters are so profound and they reflect human nature.This is definitely not a simple book, even though you can read it in one sitting. It was so exciting to me to read about the development of these characters and the changes they experience. Some of them managed to get back on the track, like Catherine's daughter, Melissa, while some of them failed to do so, but despite that the ending was absolutely unexpected. Also, the fact that the author was a surgeon himself, and that he probably used his personal experience while writing the book only contributes to the quality of it.

The only thing I disliked about the book is the variety of medical terminology that I could not understand. But this is not enough to rate it badly. Because the plot is amazing and I was totally baffled with the ending of it, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

If you think that this is a simple love story, you are terribly wrong. Each of the characters is highly complicated, with their own background and history. I recommend this book to anyone, no matter if they belong to medical field or not. It is a great story, with even better ending, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Iviss's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”