Review by rave_2 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Review by rave_2 -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by rave_2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD is a book that is filled with tips on living a healthy life. Not only does it provide tips on a healthy life, it contains myths and why that is so. At the end, it also includes tricks on how to avoid false cures.

As previously stated, the first section contains tips such as knowing the possible health benefits of green tea, a chapter on how to lose weight, and even a chapter on chocolate possibly being very good for brain function. At the same time as giving out tips, Tavel warns readers on useless and dangerous ways of certain foods the risk of some ways to lose weight such as warning readers that dietary supplements are unfortunately not so good as they are promoted as well as listing off which fish has the most mercury and to avoid it as much as possible.

The second section contains the myths on health in general – especially about the hype of energy drinks and how they are a waste, gluten-free diets, and something that was interesting to me was the section on bottled water. Tavel claims that bottled water is no better than tap water, and then explains why.

The last section is where Tavel wrote about the tricks on avoiding false cures to medical problems. He even describes the typical scam- the secret formula that is apparently amazing, and questionable testimonials.

Based on the interesting information, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It would have had another star if the chapter titles were fixed. For example, chapter 3 was as πChapter 3o. There does not seem to be any spelling or grammar errors, so other than the problem previously mentioned, future readers might not have any issues getting through this without that distraction. Anyone interested in health should definitely give this book a read. This could be very useful to them.

While I have no need to lose weight, I have found some of the other chapters to be interesting and informative besides the one about bottled water. One of those chapters was the one about some foods that could be better than thought of. While I was not surprised by some of the foods that Tavel listed, it was great to know just how much sodium was actually in canned soup. And it really is a lot, so look out!

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rave_2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Green tea, weight loss, and chocolates ring a bell. I trust professional medical advice per se, yet I also believe that innovations and advancements are also made possible by explorative thinking and a curious mind. Coming from a medical doctor, this one's unexpected and yet worthy to be checked out at least for scholarly consideration if not further. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”