Review by S Chinaski -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by S Chinaski -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski » 05 Jul 2018, 14:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is an interesting take by author Lincoln Cole on a supernatural thriller. This particular tale is the first book of Cole’s World on Fire series. The plot centers around demon huntress Abigail Dressler and her newly-acquired, accidental partner Haatim.

Our story opens with a flashback to Abigail’s original mentor and trainer: legendary demon hunter Arthur, also known as The Reverend. The flashback helps set the tone and plot trajectory for the story, and provides a bit of background for our main character, Abigail. Arthur’s story leads us into the chain of current events facing Abigail, in which she must hunt down a particularly nasty demon who has battled Arthur in the past. Along the way, Haatim becomes involved, and turns out to be relevant to demonic happenings in ways that he was previously unaware of himself.

I chose to apply a 2 out of 4 stars rating to Raven’s Peak. This book is what I would call an “almost” book. It had the hints of creativity, plot movement, and character development that would demand a higher rating, yet every aspect of the story for me just seemed not-quite-there. Bearing in mind that this is the first book of a series, it could be expected that certain qualities of the story would be left for further development in later books, but that wasn’t the overall impression I got from the shortcomings of plot, dialogue, and character. They just felt stunted to me.

The basis of the story and the basics of the characters provided a very promising palette of creativity for the story to unfold, but it didn’t seem to reach its potential. There were numerous instances of dialogue feeling very cliché and off-the-mark for me, which also affects the reader’s perception of the characters, in my opinion. A story can have an intriguing premise for a character, but if that character’s lines and actions are predictable, it can quickly rob them of mystique and the reader of interest in the development of said character, and that happened here. I would have really liked to have seen some of the action and fight scenes fleshed out a bit more as well.

As previously stated, Raven’s Peak definitely has potential, and the premises and characters were interesting at first glance and quite promising; however, there were myriad grammar and spelling mistakes, (enough to actually be distracting and give pause in certain spots) which, combined with the lackluster development and dialogue, kept my rating from being three out of four stars.
Overall, the story was interesting and it was an easy read, so fans of light supernatural thrillers (especially of the demonic variety) will likely find it worth the read; more so if the grammar and spelling were tidied up. Readers looking for an involved, well-developed, supernatural tale? You may want to pass.

All in all, Raven’s Peak seemed to me a good story, somewhat poorly told.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like S Chinaski's review? Post a comment saying so!

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles » 08 Jul 2018, 17:05

Nice, honest review. I don't think I'm interested in this story but your review held my interest.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

S Chinaski

Post by S Chinaski » 11 Jul 2018, 21:54

AmySmiles wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 17:05
Nice, honest review. I don't think I'm interested in this story but your review held my interest.
Thank you very much, AmySmiles!
It was my first, so hopefully they will only get better and more helpful! :)

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Wasn't There
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Moon Dark by Patricia Barletta
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 12 Jul 2018, 15:08

I've seen many reviews of this book and this stands out in that it gives me a clear idea of the plot, so thanks for that! Also, it's interesting that you mention the errors as most report none. I have got a general impression that it's a light supernatural thriller.

S Chinaski

Post by S Chinaski » 12 Jul 2018, 19:54

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: ↑
12 Jul 2018, 15:08
I've seen many reviews of this book and this stands out in that it gives me a clear idea of the plot, so thanks for that! Also, it's interesting that you mention the errors as most report none. I have got a general impression that it's a light supernatural thriller.
Thank you very much!
I was hoping to convey the gist of the book without giving too many details away; this being my first review, I'm still not sure where that line is. Lol

Many reviews I read give me details that wouldn't be considered spoilers, but that I'd prefer to find out in the course of the tale.

I was definitely surprised to see that some reported no editorial mistakes, as I saw at least ten fairly significant errors. There were several places that wording was just sort of off, or places that lacked punctuation that I didn't even count.

Your classification would definitely be accurate, in my opinion!

Thanks again for your response!

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Wasn't There
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Moon Dark by Patricia Barletta
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 13 Jul 2018, 01:20

Thank you very much!
I was hoping to convey the gist of the book without giving too many details away; this being my first review, I'm still not sure where that line is. Lol

[/quote]

I think the level of detail you give here is about right. I don't know Raven's Peak but I've seen multiple reviews. I'd say you just need to establish the conflict in the book and identify the question readers will have in their mind, the one that's motivating them to read, like: "Will Frodo get to Mount Doom in time to stop Sauron?" It doesn't have to be in question form, of course. Another rule of thumb is that the summary could be about one of the five to seven paragraphs in a review. It's not good if reviews get too long, but all this can be challenging if the book is long and dense.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”