Review by jmima -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jmima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmima.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by jmima -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by jmima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War is an adventurous tale about two men and their experiences in Syria, Egypt and Australia as they try to fulfill their duties to family, friends and country. The book takes us on a wild ride from the war in Syria, to the shores of the River Nile and ends up in the wilderness of Australia. With the strong descriptive language the author uses, one always feels like they are right next to the characters as they maneuver through the twists and turns that are thrown at them. I learnt a lot about foreign culture and places and all the adventure that one can experience if they have the guts to put themselves out there.

My favorite character, without a doubt, is Jacko. With an equal balance of humor and strength, Jacko carries the story right from the start. While we sometimes can’t figure out where the other characters are mentally taking us, Jacko’s story is free and clear. His strong sense of loyalty to friends, family and country leaves the reader with a warm feeling every time he is encountered. Unfortunately, we don’t get to learn much about Jamie, the other lead character. While they both achieve great things, at the end of the book I still feel like we have barely scratched the surface regarding Jamie’s life.

It is evident that the author knows a lot about the highlighted geographical regions in this adventure as we often feel like we are in whatever places our characters are. This transports us to a whole other world to experience the same feelings, walk the same streets and even taste the same food as our characters. Although sometimes the book leaves you wondering where this story is meant to end up, the adventures are captivating and the author does a fantastic job of describing landscapes, towns and events.

The value of the simple life is clearly highlighted within the book and everything unfolds like a long, fun trip! Being the first of a trilogy I look forward to reading the next phases of this story to see how our two lead men move on in life and what new adventures they come across

I recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure, travel and a little detective drama. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the story is a roller-coaster that still delivers equal parts drama, humor and mystery.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like jmima's review? Post a comment saying so!
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I like stories about the military. Quite unfortunate the stories are also accompanied by war stories.

Greg did a great job creating imaginary scenes in the reader's mind with the help of James and Jack.

Well developed story and educative as well.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”