Review by Amy+++ -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Review by Amy+++ -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Amy+++ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When your mentor, now friend and colleague starts doing unnecessary obese surgery's on patients who really don't need them what do you do? Mike Boudreaux is a surgeon and is asked by a fellow colleague to send in a report on his former mentor Clayton Otherson, because Clayton has been risking patients lives; sometimes killing these patients by doing unnecessary obese surgery on them. As the fallout of Clayton's probation takes hold on Clayton, Mike ends up spending a lot of time with Clayton's wife, Catherine and an affair between the two of them ensues.

I liked The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles for a few reasons. First of all it was easy to read. I was expecting there to be a great deal of medical terms thrown into every sentence; slowing the book and boring me, but that wasn't the case. The book was easy to follow. What I didn't like, or I should say who I didn't like was the character of Clayton Otherson. Mike does his best to help Clayton keep his job and get him a reduced punishment. When Mike does manage to pull it off all Clayton can say is, "I expected better than that, Michael." Then hangs the phone up on Mike. My opinion and view of Clayton is not good. Clayton thinks he is God's gift to medicine, always recommending unnecessary and dangerous surgery to patients who really don't need it. Why does Clayton do this? Money, that's why. Catherine I liked a little more than Clayton, as she was the complete opposite of him even though she did cheat on her husband. Regardless, she is still a much better person than her husband.

I rate The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles 2 out of 4 stars because even though the book was easy to read, I thought that since this book is about a man having an affair with his friend's wife. I was expecting more drama about that. Mike and Catherine look at each other and just 'fall in love' right away. To me this seemed a little far-fetched. The book could have used a little more build up to the affair.

The book was professionally edited as I only found one error within the book, a missing word. This little typo did not stop me from enjoying the book though.

This book is a quick read, about one hundred eighty pages. I read this book within six hours so a pretty quick read. Anyone who wants a little drama about medicine will defiantly get his or her Grey's Anatomy fix with this book. Just do not get your hopes up about the ending.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Amy+++'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have read one other book by this author and your comment about the couple falling in love right away being far-fetched rings true. I too felt some of the developments were about unrealistic. Nice review!
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Thank you. It's easier to fall in love with a book when it's a little more realistic.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

This book sounds like a fascinating commentary on medical ethics, and it also has engaging characters, so what's not to like? Great review.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Thank you. It was good. There could have been more realistic drama leading up to the affair though.
Wanjalawekesa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wanjalawekesa »

The flow of the story is so captivating.. Gives a mental picture of medical ethics..nice review though.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I agree. When I read about an affair, I prefer to be able to understand the characters and their varied motivations. This book doesn't seem to have cast much light on that.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

No it didn't I am sad to say. The rest of the book was good though. Just a little disappointed with the affair.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

The flow was good. I learned a lot about medical ethics and terminology. The affair and love story could have been drawn out over a longer period of time.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”