Review by KitabuKitamu -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by KitabuKitamu -- The Cult Next Door

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George Sharkman was a therapist with a unique approach to counseling his patients, his main method being something he called 'biofeedback' and the practice of 'special energy'. Over time he developed something he called 'the program' within which he would take those willing to stick it out through a growth process. This small group of people and those recruited along the way had a couple of things in common. They mostly consisted of people who were well educated, talented, cultured, limited in social support, had difficulty in relationships with the opposite sex and were somewhat spellbound by George.

Elizabeth Burchard was one of those in the group, a brilliant person who seemed to have a bright future before her. Along the way she had to go to therapy sessions because the middle school psychologist diagnosed her with “social and emotional problems”. It was out of this and other series of quack therapists that her mother saw that she finally encountered George. He seemed like the right mentor to enable her to reach her full potential and live her dreams. In the process, she introduced to him people close to her. One after another lost something significant in their lives out of contact with this man, including herself. By the time she came to her senses, she was getting into her forties.

Judith, an acquaintance of Elizabeth, notices something is amiss, reluctantly befriends and helps the gentle-spirited lady out of the jaws of the ogre and his minions who were obviously taking advantage of her. Her encounter with George brought back earlier experiences in her life and enabled her to empathize with Elizabeth in what she must have been going through.

I like the fact that the author was able to remember details of her life under George’s shadow and bring a lot of details into the memoir, including conversations. It gave me the impression she must have kept a diary of some sort. I couldn’t help but draw similarities between George’s character and that of King Julien from the Madagascar animation movies. “Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!” (he said this while leading other jungle animals to make an unnecessary sacrifice to the water gods out of one of their own). Despite the fact that George’s heritage is Jewish, every time he was quoted I kept hearing him in King Julien’s Asian accent which made me laugh from time to time. This was a serious affair at the end of the day, the cult's culture bore a few similarities to the Jehovah(’s) Witness as described in The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh. The Cult Next Door is a book written by Elizabeth R Burchard, LSW, and Judith L. Carlone. It is published by Two Poles Press LLW. The cover design is by Jared Phillips, although I think its a bit dated.

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book has been professionally edited. The content is detailed enough to help many identify if/how another could be involved in a cultish situation. I would recommend this book to professional and religious counselors who need to help others regain their own identities after suffering various forms of long-term abuse.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KitabuKitamu's review? Post a comment saying so!
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Cults are simultaneously terrifying and fascinating to me. I love the sound of an insider view into one of them, especially one as well-written as this. Great review!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

meadhbh wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 20:44 Cults are simultaneously terrifying and fascinating to me. I love the sound of an insider view into one of them, especially one as well-written as this. Great review!
Thanks for taking the time and your comment!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Nice review! This book seems to expound on some serious and sensitive topics, but even so, I loved how you were able to sneak that Madagascar quote in there. Well done :)
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I am so fascinated by cults but it also it's so sad, especially for those who were born into it or got stuck. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 11:08 Nice review! This book seems to expound on some serious and sensitive topics, but even so, I loved how you were able to sneak that Madagascar quote in there. Well done :)
Thanks!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

JR Mercier wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 04:00 I am so fascinated by cults but it also it's so sad, especially for those who were born into it or got stuck. Loved your review.
Yeah, cults have a way of sucking the life out of good people, thanks for taking the time.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a very touching story with an intriguing plot. Cults have tentacles with which to draw you in. Thank you for a superb review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I like your review...and it sounds like this book has an interesting way of approaching the rather scary topic of cults.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

crediblereading2 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 20:28 This is a very touching story with an intriguing plot. Cults have tentacles with which to draw you in. Thank you for a superb review.
Julie Green wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 09:34 I like your review...and it sounds like this book has an interesting way of approaching the rather scary topic of cults.
Thanks for passing by, the author did indeed do a good job of showing us an insider exclusive.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I also like that Elizabeth was able to bring to light things that happened while under Georges influence. Yet, I am surprised that it took her so long to find herself more or less.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”