Review by artyboo25 -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
artyboo25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artyboo25.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by artyboo25 -- The Altitude Journals

Post by artyboo25 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a story of one man’s life journey. You don’t have to be a mountain climber to enjoy this book, as the author manages to make you feel like you’re with him each step. Although this book is not just about climbing mountains, but about life experiences and how you handle them.
This book will take you up mountains you couldn’t climb. The author shows his vulnerability of his journey and life challenges we face in our days to live.

The chapters in the book are well laid out, each chapter is the story of a different climb and with it comes not only and incredible journey but also life lessons along the way. The action in each mountain summit made me even more ready to read about the next one. What anchors the tale, however, is his ability to understand and learn from the emotions and sacrifice of these seven climbs. The way each mountain experience is written using compelling descriptions of the experience and personal growth gained from each trek pulls you through each well written chapter.

I believe the author distinguishes himself from others by taking on and thoroughly answering the question of why a climber climbs, or more precisely, why he climbs. What anchors the tale, however, is his ability to understand and learn from the emotions and sacrifice of these seven climbs. Like many people, he faces obstacles, a difficult childhood, a painful divorce, a parent with dementia.

I enjoyed reading this book, I was hooked from the beginning. The whole idea of his epic journal was outrageous and incredible. The book is filled with love, loss, humor, and a twist of adventure.
I really liked how the author shared his struggles and difficulties. Altitude Journals by David J Mauro is worth your time to read, especially for sports fan. The interesting people, places, and experiences that anyone can relate to, it was just a pleasant, fun read.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I really liked the detailed descriptions of the cities and culture surrounding each mountain, like the comfortless, hairy airplane ride in Russia to the families with small children playing in the park in the middle of the night in Argentina. These details made it real for me like watching a movie playing in my head. What I found most heart warming was the role of his wife, family, friends, and even coworkers played in his journey. After your done reading this book you’ll find yourself wanting more of this author. It’s an experience you don’t want to miss.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like artyboo25's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”