Review by Lunastella -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Review by Lunastella -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by CinWin »

Very good review covering very real topics. Great job!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

CinWin wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 19:06 Very good review covering very real topics. Great job!
Thank you so much!
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

:tiphat: You are most welcome.

Cindy
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I avoided reading this entire book because of the possible triggers for me it contained based on my personal situation. I'm glad to see it was a good read for you though. I'm glad the characters are very well written and sorry the editing wasn't up to a good standard. Good review!
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

jessinikkip wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 20:07 I avoided reading this entire book because of the possible triggers for me it contained based on my personal situation. I'm glad to see it was a good read for you though. I'm glad the characters are very well written and sorry the editing wasn't up to a good standard. Good review!
I completely understand, it touches very sensitive topics and your peace of mind is much more important. Thanks for your comment!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I read and reviewed this book too and I can honestly say that your review makes the book sound far more interesting than it felt when I was reading it!! Yes-- I liked that the characters were flawed and the story is not a fairytale romance, but apart from Pat I didn't much like the characters-- Anna seems too dependent on Rafe and Rafe is just dark and brooding and mysterious-- you never know much about what he is thinking. Also I wonder if you read a better edited version of the book because I found more than 10 errors and in parts the characters are confused!!

Manali_DC wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 02:01 I read and reviewed this book too and I can honestly say that your review makes the book sound far more interesting than it felt when I was reading it!! Yes-- I liked that the characters were flawed and the story is not a fairytale romance, but apart from Pat I didn't much like the characters-- Anna seems too dependent on Rafe and Rafe is just dark and brooding and mysterious-- you never know much about what he is thinking. Also I wonder if you read a better edited version of the book because I found more than 10 errors and in parts the characters are confused!!
I think Pat is one of the most interesting, lovable characters in the book, but I also liked Anna. Yes, she’s very dependent and overly jealous but I think it’s part of the aftermath of what happened to her and she still manages to be a strong woman. You’re right about Rafe, though, he seems like a less developed character than others but I guess keeping to oneself and retreating can also be part of PTSD. At least, that was my interpretation of why the characters act this way.
The book has many typos and mistakes, that’s why I didn’t rate it 4 stars but I don’t remember the characters being confused, so maybe I read a better-edited version.
Thanks so much for taking the time to give your perspective of this book!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This book was certainly more than some beautiful eyes and rose cheeks. As I mentioned before, it was the characters who deserves a "bravo" for their performance. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:31 This book was certainly more than some beautiful eyes and rose cheeks. As I mentioned before, it was the characters who deserves a "bravo" for their performance. Thank you for your review!
I totally agree. The character development is amazing in Irwing's novels and it's one of my favorite assets in books. But, definitely, it's not a fairytale romance. Thanks for your comment!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sounds like the author wrote and developed strong characters of Anna and Rafe. They both had a difficult life and background. The heavy topics of rape, abuse, and others make it difficult for me to want to read this book. I am glad that you enjoyed all three books in the series.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Life can be harsh for some people. Being a rape victim is one of the most unfortunate things that can happen to someone. Thanks for the your honest review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I love your point of view regarding this story. Anna and Rafe are far from perfect because they are going through a lot of pain. It is true that rape should be taken more seriously and victims given the help they deserve. I just hope the monsters in the book got their punishment. Great review
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

LV2R wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 22:39 It sounds like the author wrote and developed strong characters of Anna and Rafe. They both had a difficult life and background. The heavy topics of rape, abuse, and others make it difficult for me to want to read this book. I am glad that you enjoyed all three books in the series.
I totally understand, these are not easy subjects and are not suitable for everyone. Thank you for your comment, Sara!

Sunnyroyish wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 04:05 Life can be harsh for some people. Being a rape victim is one of the most unfortunate things that can happen to someone. Thanks for the your honest review.
It is, indeed, unfortunate and quite common. That's why I think it's important to talk about the subject. Thanks for your comment!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This is not my usual genre, but I appreciate the detail and thought you’ve put into this review. You’ve definitely made me feel more open to this book; I like romance where the individuals feel real and it’s not fairy tale esque. (Although I can also enjoy fairy tale esque!) I often shy away from romance with thriller elements, but based on your description of the main couple here I think I could handle it.

Thanks for this awesome review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”