Review by bobbiebryner -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by bobbiebryner -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by bobbiebryner »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway 2" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman is the second installment of the Superhighway Trilogy. This book continues to follow Alex Fine’s life. Alex was born with the ability to transport himself electronically via the internet. In the first book, Alex explores the vast opportunities that such a gift can offer. This second book reveals the repercussions and consequences of Alex’s impulsive decisions that he made in those early years.

The book’s plot was a fantastic and imaginative premise. Transportation via the internet would have many different benefits. While the first book explored the possibility of personal rewards, the second book explored military and espionage applications. I liked that this second book branched out into a wider scope of potential uses for this gift and the possible outcomes.

This book began similarly to the first book. The first few chapters were a premonition of later events. I appreciated the similitude of both books in this manner. The extensive time hop between the ending of the first book and the beginning of the second book befuddled me. Almost two decades had passed between the storylines which was disorienting. The tempo of the plot also was problematic. The story raced through one event to another and covered several years in very few pages. Characters were introduced and discarded in rapid succession. This allowed for very minimal character development. As a result, the reader could not connect with these characters and was challenged to empathize with the protagonist. I felt nothing over the losses that Alex experienced since I was not able to form an attachment to these characters.

The monologue elaboration of events by a secondary character also demonstrated poor plot development. A reader should be able to infer or interpret events as they unfold without an overly detailed explanation. I felt that the author could have further explored specific events, provided clues, or used genuinely intimate character interactions to provide these details.

Sadly, I had to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the first book so much that I could not wait to read the second installment. The concept of electroportation was appealing to me as a science fiction fan. The technical details would appeal to anyone who is tech-savvy. The human element was sacrificed for the benefit of the theme which made the tale seem superficial and forced. This was the book’s main deficiency, but it had tremendous impact on the quality of the narrative.

Superhighway 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bobbiebryner's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I've read many reviews of this book, and I have to say that after reading yours, the book seems too problematic. Regrettably, I am going to give this a miss. Thank you for the well-written review!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

bobbiebryner wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 10:10
Sadly, I had to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the first book so much that I could not wait to read the second installment. The concept of electroportation was appealing to me as a science fiction fan. The technical details would appeal to anyone who is tech-savvy. The human element was sacrificed for the benefit of the theme which made the tale seem superficial and forced. This was the book’s main deficiency, but it had tremendous impact on the quality of the narrative.
This sums it up wonderfully. This book was such a disappointment after the excitement generated by the idea of electroportation in the first book. Alex was a prick, and I only ever felt sorry for those people who got sucked into his life. I couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for him either.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I read the first book and was interested to see what the second one would be like. I really disliked the first book, loved the premise for electroporation, but felt the book missed the mark so hard. After this review, I think I'll just stay away completely. Thanks for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”