Review by Cara Van Heerden -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Review by Cara Van Heerden -- Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aluria is the first book in The Aluria Adventures series. The action-packed fantasy novel follows Jason Conner who is the heir to Conner Incorporated, a billion-dollar company in the city of Canton. As a teenager, Jason vanished suddenly without explanation. His high school sweetheart, Tessa, was left behind with the horrifying memory of Jason risking his life to save her from a mysterious cloaked sorcerer named Raiz. Having no other choice, Jason allowed an ancient extra-terrestrial spirit to inhabit his body that night and fight Raiz back. That ancient spirit was Aluria. Morphed together, the two souls gained abilities beyond what Jason had ever thought possible. The rich heir flew away with the wings of Aluria, letting everyone he’d known assume he was killed.

Ten years later, Jason Conner finally returned to inherit his father’s struggling company. The reunion brought him together again with friends, faithful personnel, and Tessa, but restoring his family business was not the only reason Jason returned. Aluria had sensed a dark presence in Canton, a city now steeped in violence and secrets. A returning evil has an agenda that will begin in a matter of weeks. It is up to Jason and Aluria to stop it by becoming the hero of Canton and the world.

I began reading Aluria with optimistic expectations. The plot was suspenseful, and it peaked my curiosity enough to keep me turning the pages. Although I do believe this book needs a lot of fine-tuning, I enjoyed the unique idea of the spirit Aluria. At different times in the story, Jason can give into the spirit and go through a transformation into Aluria, who is a dragon-like creature. The idea felt original to me and the spirit quickly became my favorite character at first, but unfortunately, his appeal was lost as the story went on. Aluria is centred mainly around a plot which is admittedly entertaining. However, my enjoyment of it was tainted by the lack of engaging characters.

Many characters in Aluria lack development, including Aluria himself. The spirit is one of the most intriguing characters, yet he barely appears in the story. Aluria’s absence becomes especially apparent when Jason is caught up in action scenes. The ancient spirit offers no strategic support, even though he likely has a lot of experience to share. I was very disappointed that there wasn’t more input from Aluria, not only in action scenes but also during Jason’s re-entry into his life in Canton. Likewise, Jason and Raiz have appropriate motivations, but they lack character-arcs which are important for the main protagonist and antagonist. Tessa is the one character that I felt had more development than any of the others. She was interesting to read about and a few twists in her storyline also caught my attention.

While Aluria has great potential, I give it 2 out of 4 stars. The writing is jarring as character movements jump unexpectedly. Some of the character’s actions are overexplained, while other times they don’t make logical sense. Inconsistences, grammar and spelling mistakes are numerous throughout the book. Because of all this, the story begins to feel unrealistic and cliché. Additionally, I’d like to warn younger readers since there is one scene with mild sexual activity, which is not overtly described but still is suggestive. If you enjoy quality writing and relatable characters, I suggest you don’t read this book. However, if you’re willing to look past that, Aluria does have a thrilling plot of heroism that will keep you guessing and shock you with a few twists along the way.

Aluria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Cara Van Heerden's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's so sad when a books characters fall flat. This also seems like a story that needs rich characters to guide it.
Great review - good job!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 13:36 It's so sad when a books characters fall flat. This also seems like a story that needs rich characters to guide it.
Great review - good job!
It is sad. This book would be amazing if it only had great character.

Thank you for reading! 😀
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This book sounds like the fantasy version of Green Arrow or Iron Fist, but like those comics/shows, the character development HAS to be there for me. The plot had me intrigued for sure, but it's disappointing to see characters who have nothing to them. Thank you for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:05 This book sounds like the fantasy version of Green Arrow or Iron Fist, but like those comics/shows, the character development HAS to be there for me. The plot had me intrigued for sure, but it's disappointing to see characters who have nothing to them. Thank you for the review!
It did remind me of Arrow! That's a good series. But I definitely agree that character development is so important. Aluria needed characters like Felicity! That's all I need to say. :lol2:

Thank you so much for reading my review!
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 08:01
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:05 This book sounds like the fantasy version of Green Arrow or Iron Fist, but like those comics/shows, the character development HAS to be there for me. The plot had me intrigued for sure, but it's disappointing to see characters who have nothing to them. Thank you for the review!
It did remind me of Arrow! That's a good series. But I definitely agree that character development is so important. Aluria needed characters like Felicity! That's all I need to say. :lol2:

LOVE Felicity! She's such an amazing character! So strong and beautiful. Give me more characters like her and I'll be happy!
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 08:07

LOVE Felicity! She's such an amazing character! So strong and beautiful. Give me more characters like her and I'll be happy!
Yas! 😀
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 09:35

Yas! 😀
Guuuuuuys cmon. Felicity’s cool. But Thea has to be the winner. She can go he-ha-hoo with her hands and decapitate like, 15 guys. Come on!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:48

Yas! 😀
Guuuuuuys cmon. Felicity’s cool. But Thea has to be the winner. She can go he-ha-hoo with her hands and decapitate like, 15 guys. Come on!
Eeehhhhhhhhhh Thea bugs me. Like she's super kickass but there's just something about her character I've never really liked. I just watch the series, and I don't know how far you guys are, but there's one girl I really like from the recent season. But I've just always liked and related to Felicity more. And totally root for Olive & Felicity. 😍
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 18:42
Bianka Walter wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 15:48

Yas! 😀
Eeehhhhhhhhhh Thea bugs me. Like she's super kickass but there's just something about her character I've never really liked. I just watch the series, and I don't know how far you guys are, but there's one girl I really like from the recent season. But I've just always liked and related to Felicity more. And totally root for Olive & Felicity. 😍
Hahaha, I do enjoy seeing Thea too! Only her bloodlust can be disturbing. I havent seen the recent seasons, but all the main characters on Arrow are amazing. It's a perfect example of great characters making the story. 🎉

#teamOliver&Felicity 💓

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”