Review by iphee -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
iphee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iphee.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by iphee -- The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by iphee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am glad I chose this piece as my first read in the Online Book Club. I really enjoyed the book. It had the mixture of everything I look forward to in a book. There was humor, suspense, excitement, not too intense, romance, the low points and high points.

I initially thought the book was slow paced, however, I discovered that the pace was just right for the storyline. I must commend the author for his in-depth research into the world of medicine. With an elder sister who is a Consultant, I could relate with medical world created in this book; the loyalty of junior doctors to seniors; the superiority complex of surgeons, doctors in a particular department covering up for their own, and so on. All the medical terms used were used correctly. It was a very knowledgeable and enlightening read.

Set in the American city of New Orleans which is rich in culture and history, the author was able to whisk me away to that city through his unique use of imagery and literary description. The story is centered around the Protagonist; Mike Boudreaux, skilled in his field, has everything he could want, however, he dosen't seem to have the ability to love a woman totally and utterly. His eyes and heart finally settles on this friend's (who is also a mentor) wife; Catherine Clayton who lacks this genuine love form her own marriage.

I was taken along with the emotions Mike went through. I felt his frustration, his sadness and ultimate resignation to settle for Rosie the artist. I also entered the world of each and every character. I could relate with the conversation between Rosie and Catherine in Chapter 5 of the book. It showed how women who are usually at loggerheads with each other seem to bound when talking about matters of the heart and the opposite sex.

In conclusion, the book was an awesome read. I appreciate all the literary devices used to bring the story to life. The book was professional edited as I did not come across typos except in two instances which i spotted out; page 63, 2nd par. line 3 "...it wounded vapid and lonely" "wounded' should have been "sounded". The other typo is minute therefore, no need to mention. Though I sort of guessed the story of Helen Rappaport as soon as she was introduced, the end of the book made up for any sense of predictability I might have had earlier. I give the book a 4 out of 4.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like iphee's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”