Review by Cardinalsparrow -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Cardinalsparrow -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The surgeon’s wife by William H. Cole is a dramatic tale based around the lives of two prominent surgeons and a woman. Mike Boudreax is the chief of surgery at one of the country’s largest hospitals. His partner and mentor, the eminent Clayton Otherson, begins to make mistakes and subsequently unreliable in the operating room. Many of Clayton’s colleagues want his termination, others defend him in a show of loyalty and for financial reasons. Meanwhile, Clayton expects Mike to cover for him using his position. Mike is torn between personal loyalty and professional ethics and responsibility.

The situation further gets out of hand when Clayton insists on continuing to perform bariatric surgeries for obese patients without finishing his scheduled re-training; his bariatric surgeries is of great financial benefits to the department but quite dangerous and ineffective on the long run. Clayton finally commits a major blunder leading to the death of a patient; this last straw essentially ends his career. He blames Mike for his misfortunes, this misconception is further strengthened when Mike and Catherine, Clayton’s wife, start having an illicit affair.

Clayton decides to sue the hospital to restore his position using Mike’s affair with his wife as evidence of personal bias. Catherine losses almost everything including her daughter, Mellissa, who runs away from home with her boyfriend. She and Mike fight to maintain their relationship, but the troubles they face may tear them apart.

A refreshing read, the book takes readers on a fictional journey that will keep them intrigued from beginning to end. I found it difficult to put the book down until I finished it. It’s a book with in-depth plot, powerful characterization and interesting subplots. The characters are well developed, realistic and credible.

The author did a beautiful job in building the drama toward an explosive climax that is both unexpected and thrilling. The relationship between professional and personal lives was artfully portrayed in lives of both the primary and secondary characters. Dr. Otherson’s fall from grace was also carefully and expertly orchestrated.

However, the love affair upon which the story partly hinges isn’t as persuasive as expected. The romantic relationship between Mike and Catherine doesn’t begin until much later in the book and with very little anticipation of it earlier in the plot. Catherine’s declaration of love for Mike seem to come out of nowhere; making it seem implausible and shallow, like teenage infatuation. Mike’s reciprocity also was confusing; his feelings aren’t exactly stable and is always a thought or afterthought.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars for its interesting and captivating story-line.

I recommend this book for everyone. It’s a really quick read too.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Cardinalsparrow's review? Post a comment saying so!
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Nice review.I wouldn't love to read it though, since the love affair isn't as persuasive as expected.Thanks.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Some of us are like Mike. Atimes, we are torn between personal loyalty and professional ethics and responsibility.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The love triangle isn't that appealing to me, but thanks for the great review as usual!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

The medical side of this story seems more interesting than the affair. It sounds like the romance was added almost as an afterthought and not really well planned. Thanks for your insightful review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

BookReader+6 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 11:13 The medical side of this story seems more interesting than the affair. It sounds like the romance was added almost as an afterthought and not really well planned. Thanks for your insightful review!
I thought so too, the romance seemed unnatural. Thanks for the comment.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”