Review by bookiegalke -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by bookiegalke -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by bookiegalke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are different theories on how the universe was created. Whichever theory a person is inclined to believe in really depends on which theory satisfies their curiosity. Personally, as a Christian, I subscribe to the theory that the universe was created by God in seven days. Mine is a belief that everything in the universe revolves around that Supreme Being. Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil creates a universe, is a science fiction book by Zarqnon the embarrassed (His real name is JW. McLaughlin. The reason he is using Zarqnon is because, according to him, it amuses him plus he prefers breaking away from the tradition of using the real name). Illustrations in the book are done by Frank Louis Allen. The book follows the writer’s attempt at defending his theory of how the universe came into existence.

The day of reckoning is Tuesday. Theodil is before a committee to defend his theory. The committee is already in disbelief at what Theodil is about to present to them. These are the big questions that theory seeks to propound on: What was before the universe? Is there a philosophical explanation that can sufficiently explain that situation? Many notions are of the view that a being just “willed it” into existence. But what if there was a pre-universal fabric from which the universe was created. What if there were two different time frames: One that was designated for creation of the universe, and another that was designated for the architect to function in? Did the two time frames exist separately of each other? Was one of them curved out of the other?

As is the norm with any theory, discontentment at the principles advanced by the theory is inevitable. The proposal that there is a dual big bang theory for the origin of the universe is a theory some people would disagree with. Personally, I was not convinced that the writer’s proposal sufficiently defended its two time frame theory. Science fiction books are a genre that is characteristic of questioning the norm or the normal ways of doing something. With this book, attempts to develop a creation theory of the universe appeared far-fetched for me. While I recognize that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, I did not find any basis for questioning whether the creation of the universe took place within two different time frames.

Consequently, I found the cover photo of the book wanting. The title of the book is properly laid out and easy for the eye to capture because it is printed in bold. In contrast, the names of the author and the illustrator appeared concealed to me. It would take a very keen eye to locate them on the cover page. I wish the editor or writer would have considered using a different color for the cover photo and a different one for the fonts used for the title, the author’s name and illustrator.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to two categories of people. To begin with, Science fiction lovers might want to explore the theories propounded in this book. The second category is people interested in learning about the different theories of creation of the universe. You may finally disagree or agree with the writer but to arrive to either of the conclusions would require the reader to have an open mind.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookiegalke's review? Post a comment saying so!
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. I don't usually read science fiction but this book sounds intriguing because of the creation topic mixed in with some time bending. I concur about the cover graphic. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:

Post by bookiegalke »

Eva Darrington wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:33 I enjoyed reading your review. I don't usually read science fiction but this book sounds intriguing because of the creation topic mixed in with some time bending. I concur about the cover graphic. Thanks for the great review.
I hope the writer would consider redoing the cover photo. Your comment is highly appreciated
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. I found myself wanting to learn more. Will add this one to my list to read
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm not sure about the cover art. So when I first looked at it, I found it to be busy and confusing - a lot like I found the book. I wonder if it was intentional to make it like that? A direct correlation between the contents and the cover.
Like you say though, the names could have been a little easier to read.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:

Post by bookiegalke »

trajoe1206 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 19:19 Great review. I found myself wanting to learn more. Will add this one to my list to read
Your comment is highly appreciated.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:

Post by bookiegalke »

Bianka Walter wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 05:21 I'm not sure about the cover art. So when I first looked at it, I found it to be busy and confusing - a lot like I found the book. I wonder if it was intentional to make it like that? A direct correlation between the contents and the cover.
Like you say though, the names could have been a little easier to read.
Great review!
[/quote
The cover photo needs a complete overhaul. Creating confusion on the cover page aint a good idea
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”