Review by Laura Del -- If life stinks get your head outt...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by Laura Del -- If life stinks get your head outt...

Post by Laura Del » 30 Jun 2018, 18:06

[Following is a volunteer review of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you tired of being unsuccessful? Well, If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But’s by Mark L. Wdowiak helps you navigate through your life by giving you no-nonsense, tips and tricks to becoming a more productive and successful you. At least, that’s what it tries to do.

I have to say that this book is a little preachy and a lot cliché. Honestly, it reminded me of why I don’t like reading self-help books because they tell me things that I already practice in my everyday life. What got my goat, so to speak, was the fact that the writer blames you for your situation. While I agree with him in most cases, he doesn’t take into account that some things are just out of your control like chronic illness, cancer, etc. Yes, you are the master of your fate, but sometimes fate throws you a curve ball that puts everything on hold. That’s just life, and it’s not taken seriously in this book. Another thing that I didn’t like was the fact that the author lessens your struggle because someone always “has it worse” or “has been through the same thing as you.” Although I understand that, it makes it sound like the things you go through, don't matter, which is not true in the least.

Even though Mark L. Wdowiak does say a lot of his tips and tricks in a very straightforward way, some of what is written is pretentious and repetitive. I don’t know how many times I rolled my eyes when the words, “you are responsible for yourself” showed up. It felt like the book was just one long tangent, and when it wasn’t being monotonous, the author inserted his own experiences and forced the reader to live his life with him. I understand that he was trying to use examples for a purpose, but sometimes the stories just seemed out of place in the midst of all the “good advice.”

What I like about the book is that it’s very blunt in the delivery of the “advice” and explains everything in an easy manner. However, there are a few grammatical things that just put me off even more. Using words like “waaay,” and symbols for the cursing, made me feel as though this was geared towards children instead of adults. Besides that, and a few extra words and added parentheses where they’re not needed, the grammar isn’t too bad.

In my opinion (which doesn’t matter in Mr. Wdowiak’s eyes), this book is 2 out of 4, and I can only recommend it to people who know they lack common sense. I was looking forward to learning new things, but in the end, If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But’s just winds up being the same as any other self-help book out there. Filled with things I already know, and a little bit useless.

If life stinks get your head outta your buts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Laura Del's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway

sheeps44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheeps44.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by sheeps44 » 03 Aug 2018, 22:20

I feel like what's worse than a bad book is a book that teaches you things that you already know, it feels patronizing to me.

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 575
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: A Dress the Color of the Sky by Jennifer Irwin

Post by Laura Bach » 04 Aug 2018, 03:57

Such a waste. I am annoyed by these typical self-help books. I am glad you said your honest opinion, without holding things back. I enjoyed your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”