Review by Nmesoma -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Nmesoma
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Review by Nmesoma -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Nmesoma » 29 Jun 2018, 13:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Let’s leave our Earth and move straight on to another dimension…if we looked hard, we might just find it. When we have found a planet of blue grass with suns that shine bright red, then we’ll rightly know that we are in the beautiful world of Azmantium. A planet of witches, vampires, shifters and don’t you forget about the dragons. Once we’ve readjusted to the color of the trees, the weird nature of the clouds, the two orbs shining red in the sky and the peculiar powers of the people we meet there…we may begin our journey to uncover the story.

Dragons are real but not as we know them. They are not mindless beings that spit fire, rather, they are rare humans with the ability to morph into a dragon. Dragons possess the most lethal of all the magical powers in Azmantium and this made them greatly revered. After the Great War, the dragons ceased to exist, or at least that’s what the people of Azmantium chose to believe…until one came along. The tides are turning, the prophecies are coming to fulfillment and a certain dragon is ready to manifest.

When I read through the story, I couldn’t help making more than just a few comparisons between it and the famed Harry Potter. Like Harry Potter, there’s the magic school; like Harry Potter, there’s the potions, the cauldrons and the spelled objects but unlike the Harry Potter, there’s not just witches and wizards to stand up against.

The story is fast-paced and would appeal to those who want to go through a book in one-sitting. Personally, I did not love it that much even though it had a great story line. The story was just too fast-paced to interact with the characters in an emotional level; I mean, if all the characters dropped dead at one point, I’d just be reading through it with a cold apathetic resolve. It was like the Story Writer was trying to get the readers to love a character based on the fact that the person is the destined hero in the story, the handsome prince, or the goodly girlfriends who all supposedly had a part to play in saving the people of Azmantium. All in all, the book didn’t drag me into an emotional realm that great stories are famed for; it felt like reading an embellished story of the tortoise and the hare.

Another fault I had with the story was that the writer seemed to lack the ability to pick which planet she wanted her story to take place in; she kept switching between Earth and Azmantium. One moment she refers to the planet as Azmantium -as she rightly quoted in the beginning- and then along the story, she kept switching between calling it Earth and Azmantium. The fight between what to call the ‘Planet’ left me dazed and a bit irritated.

There were a few language and word errors in the book but that did not distract from the story being told. I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the switch between what the planet is rightly named; despite being too fast-paced to emotionally interact with, the story line is great and short enough to not have you yawning as you read through.

It is clearly a YA fantasy geared towards the younger adults but any age would enjoy it. If you could just open the book and allow yourself to imagine, a new world would certainly come calling.

Dragon Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nmesoma's review? Post a comment saying so!

meadhbh
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh » 08 Jul 2018, 20:51

This sounds like a really interesting take on the mythology of dragons. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”