Review by Asen Stoyanchev -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Asen Stoyanchev -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is rare to discover a book that is disgusting to read and at the same time to like it. This is exactly what happened to me after reading Len Foley’s Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This is a children’s book for kids aged from 3 to 7 and the simple, yet hilarious narrative follows the investigation done by the little Sigfried in order to find out why his book stinks so much. The odor is horrible and as the story goes by, we understand that there could be many reasons for that, each from which very nauseating. In fact, at the very beginning of the book, we are warned that the book stinks which immediately captures the interest.

Len Foley did a great job in writing, designing, and illustrating the book. That is why it is not a surprise that Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! received the prestigious Mom’s Choice award which distinguishes outstanding products created for parents and educators.

The book is very fun but also educational to read because it contains a lot of different verbs and adjectives that every kid should master. However, there are some words that would be difficult to understand, so parents, you will have to explain them to your children. Not every kid would know what ‘squish-mushed’ or ‘kraut’, means for instance.

One thing the author needs applause for is the genuine way in which he made the illustrations. Entirely designed on Ipad Pro, the drawings are vivid, entertaining, and colorful. This is exactly what would capture the interest of a child and that is why I liked the book so much.

Also, its originality is undeniable. I have never heard of a similar book so far and I was very entertained while going through it. While being laugh-provoking, Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! Is also informative and well-thought-out.One thing that could possibly drive away the small readers or their parents is the purposeful and at some point, even brutal grossness. Len Foley doesn’t hesitate to mention toilet seats and used diapers and to include pictures of such stinky things in order to be as descriptive as possible in his attempt to create an even more realistic atmosphere.

Another good thing is that the author uses rhymes for his narrative which makes it easier to read and to remember. This also helps you to imagine and almost feel the disgusting smells described in the book.
Because of its originality and colorful art, I give Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! 4 out of 4 stars. It is a perfectly paced read engaging enough for every kid, even though some parents may disagree.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Asen Stoyanchev's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”