Review by ea_anthony -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ea_anthony -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by ea_anthony »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

WHO TOLD THAT YOU WERE NAKED? by William E. Combs

This book rates a solid 4 over 4, if not for anything else but the introduction. What a grand entrance! I now understand those “grab you by the neck” reviews. The introduction starts with an over-the-top, exciting and vivid description of the author’s first encounter with real light (as opposed to his trusty flashlight) at age five –the aurora borealis! And wait for it during a nightly visit to an “outhouse privy” (he called it a three-holer, incidentally built by his Grandpa and it was the envy of the neighbours!) somewhere in Alaska most likely during a winter. Then perfectly relating it to the
sometimes held view of the Old Testament as shadow of truth revealed in the Gospel.

Slam dunk! Buzzer beating three-pointer!! In fact an Oscar if it was a movie (anyway more like a Pulitzer for investigative journalism into the dynamics of the Word- the Holy Bible). At this point a curtain call would have been most appropriate- but wait we are still at the introduction just somewhere past the middle! (Beginning of page iv to be precise). In the author’s own words- “We are [often] tempted to skip through this extended introduction [the Old Testament] to rejoice in God’s love and forgiveness in Jesus Christ.” Emphasis (and inclusion) of “often” and “Old testament” are mine.

While still reeling from the author’s lightning fast jabs (pen strokes or keystrokes?), he unleashes a (canvas kissing) powerful uppercut- he is a southpaw by the way.
........Then quite unexpectedly, a different kind of brass hook unlatched and an old wooden door slowly creaked open in my mind. I heard the words, “Who told you that you were naked?” as though I had been there on that tumultuous afternoon with our great, great, great . . . great, great grandparents.
It is said the genesis of all biblical revelation has its roots in the first book of the Bible. My own knowledge of sin, salvation, and faith had been largely shaped through the lens of the New Testament. Standing in the garden that day, as it were, brought a much deeper understanding of these critical building blocks. [That is the Old Testament –emphasis and inclusion again mine.]

I am now gasping, breathless and begging for dear mercy. And does the Reverend William E. Combs let go at this point? Or am I the one holding on for dear life? Answers are immaterial at this point as there can be no turning back. Then a sucker punch is thrown in for good measure (?).
………….. I invite you to come with me on a mission [A mission? No, this is a quest!] to delve into the events through which sin and death entered the world (Romans 5:12). It is my hope you too will rediscover, as I did, the glorious Light and Life available to us who believe. In chapter one, we will visit our first parents in their new digs east of Eden, and in chapter two, we'll reexamine the circumstances that……

Oh the style! The reverend’s writing style!! – Behind the book it was stated that as a Pastor he loved to paint word pictures - (Or is it also due to Bob Irving – the professional editor mentioned before the introduction under special thanks?). What do I care?, as I am at this time weeping softly or bawling loudly (you can decide which when you get there) but careful to do this with dry eyes, so the tears do not disrupt the speed at which I intend to devour the next 204 pages (plus 5 pages of endnotes) before I calm down and reread at a saner pace.

I delve into Chapter one, it is punch after punch, jab after jab, and then a round hook …………
“That afternoon, he took the lamb back to the
river to show it his reflection, but Lively (Adam had named the little lamb he rescued Lively!) was not the
least bit interested, and Adam realized—sadly—
there would be many things he could not share with
his little friend.”
Now I know I am in a full paradigm shifting quest (mission, adventure – all and above) where previously known (and unknown) beliefs as well as notions are going to collide and violently. Consider a snippet from Chapter 6 – Free Indeed!;
In Romans chapter 7, Paul struggled mightily to overcome sin dwelling in his members—but could not. Those very actions indicate he was focusing on sin in his members—meaning he was alive to sin, not dead to sin as Romans 6:11 indicates. As long as he, or we, wrestle with the sinful habits we no longer wish to perform, our adversary will win because we are conforming to a way of life sin can control. To die to sin means we should not attempt in any way to resist sin any more than we would if we were lying (dead) in a pine box.

Let me add a quick bible verse;
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 NKJV.

I give this book a solid four out of four, I know, this is repeated again for emphasis. One last thing even though you already know they ate the apple, the absolute shock value when they do is better read than imagined. Then the repercussions, the shame………….. Read on.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ea_anthony's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is such an enthusiastic review! You had me hooked! (Not a left hook, but nevertheless...)
I thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Your review was very fun and light! It got me excited to grab my own copy of the book too, so thank you!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Your review of this is the most animated I have ever come across :) You have a unique and charismatic style. In any event, I am often curious of Bible-based books and may consider this one. Thank you for your review and and I'm glad you enjoyed this read.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Bianka Walter wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:05 This is such an enthusiastic review! You had me hooked! (Not a left hook, but nevertheless...)
I thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you so much!
Wow thanks! I think I was bit (more like very much) carried but it was such an interesting read. Lol @ left hook!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Morgan Jones wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 10:31 Your review was very fun and light! It got me excited to grab my own copy of the book too, so thank you!
Gee, thanks!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

SABRADLEY wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 05:28 Your review of this is the most animated I have ever come across :) You have a unique and charismatic style. In any event, I am often curious of Bible-based books and may consider this one. Thank you for your review and and I'm glad you enjoyed this read.
Thanks, Bible-based books do not elicit enough curiosity as far as I am concerned. It was a real interesting read.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Chapter 1 Study question (#1)
Why did God give Adam and Eve “every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit” when the Garden yielded such a bounty of food (Genesis 1:29)?

I must admit this is a tough question, I have gone through 4 bible commentaries to look for clues, none. Most talk was that until the fall meat was probably not consumed (Matthew Poole's commentary though notes that there is no affirmation or denial of flesh to man - therefore to say meat was expressly allowed). Gill's commentary assumed to some extent that animals were being preserved till sufficiently multiplied but also believes Man was not forbidden from meat.

Back to Rev Comb's question - I believe it was an extension of dominion given to Man in Genesis 1 : 26

Genesis 1:26-27 New King James Version (NKJV)
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over [a]all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” (www.biblegateway.com)

Any opinions?
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

ea_anthony wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 17:37 Chapter 1 Study question (#1)
Why did God give Adam and Eve “every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit” when the Garden yielded such a bounty of food (Genesis 1:29)?

I must admit this is a tough question, I have gone through 4 bible commentaries to look for clues, none. Most talk was that until the fall meat was probably not consumed (Matthew Poole's commentary though notes that there is no affirmation or denial of flesh to man - therefore to say meat was expressly allowed). Gill's commentary assumed to some extent that animals were being preserved till sufficiently multiplied but also believes Man was not forbidden from meat.

Back to Rev Comb's question - I believe it was an extension of dominion given to Man in Genesis 1 : 26

Genesis 1:26-27 New King James Version (NKJV)
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over [a]all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” (www.biblegateway.com)

Any opinions?
Below is lifted from page 6 of our reviwed book;
[Your new home is a special place of peace, prosperity, joy, and hope,” said the Lord. "You observed
as we traveled here the surrouning environs are much different, and you will need to care for this
oasis so it does not revert to its former existence.”]

Is there a clue here?
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Genesis 1: 11-13 New King James Version (NKJV)
Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13 So the evening and the morning were the third day. (www.biblegateway.com)
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I read this book, Name-Sake. I must confess, the book is really thought-provoking. Also, reading it by your Bible by your side brings greater revelation of our Knowledge of Him, according to Paul. I enjoyed your review ea_anthony.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I enjoyed your review so much! Your writing is so creative and compelling! Although I'm probably not the target audience of this book your enthusiasm is highly contagious, thank you.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I really didn't expect this piece to be as multi-faceted as you've made it seem, although I hoped it could bring readers closer to what's right. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It seems you really enjoyed this book. Your enthusiasm surely sheds a positive light on this book.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”