Review by SereneCharles -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
SereneCharles
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by SereneCharles -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by SereneCharles » 28 Jun 2018, 11:45

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oh my goodness! Sigfried's Smelly Socks had me clasping my nostrils while I read on. Len Foley is a genius in describing all the smelly things that can make one gag. Yikes! Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is a book dedicated to Becky and Sofia, probably Fen's children whose never-ending pile of socks inspired the story.

Sigfried is a young child that has many socks in different colours- orange, blue, green, and red, to mention a few. Each day, he perceives a stink from his book and wonders where it is emanating from. He thinks of the rotten banana he left on the book's page. Could it be it? His mind drifts to the squish-mushed chewing gum stuck in the book since the previous year. But there are many more things that could be causing the stench: the pizza slice that marked his book once, the peanut butter and jelly chunks he let dribble off his bread, and the yellow stain on the page of his book where his dog, Oscar peed. He thinks of other things that could cause his book stink, but then he also realizes his hair stinks as much, if not worse. Could it be his unwashed socks kept hidden beneath his bed? He sets out to find out and wash the socks if they are the stinky things.

This book really had me retching while I tried to imagine all the smelly, disgusting things described in it. The pictures didn’t help too, but I had a good laugh. It was funny watching Sigfried describe the things that were probably responsible for the stench. Fen was succinct in creating words and pictures that would make any child run to wash their socks, stinky or not. He knows how indispensable pictures are in reaching a child's heart and he created them in a very simple way that kids would easily understand. Even though the book is short, with only twenty-seven pages in a pdf format, the message is clear and the author effectively passed the intended piece of information.

The use of questions in the book gives a child an opportunity to pause and think. This is a very practical tool in educating kids because it allows them to give their own opinion first before being given the answers. I noticed that each chapter is in a rhyme. Kids will find this very entertaining. I have a toddler, and I plan on using Sigfried's Smelly Socks to teach him the importance of keeping, not just his socks, but his clothes and room clean.

I found no single error in this book. Because of that and other things I mentioned, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. It’s understandable and explanatory, and wouldn’t deserve anything less than 4 stars. I recommend it to parents who have little kids (especially toddlers) that can understand the book. It may make them gag, but it is one of the best books their kids would come across. But if they are irritated easily, then their partner or sister can read the book to their toddler.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SereneCharles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:

julessawyer
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer » 01 Jul 2018, 00:55

The book has very appealing illustration on its cover. I'm glad the book live up to its cover. I hope to read it as well as read it to my nephews and nieces. thanks! :)

SereneCharles
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles » 01 Jul 2018, 01:26

julessawyer wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 00:55
The book has very appealing illustration on its cover. I'm glad the book live up to its cover. I hope to read it as well as read it to my nephews and nieces. thanks! :)
Thanks Jules
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: A Twisted Wisdom by Stephanie Colbert
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 06 Jul 2018, 04:35

Great review. I loved this book too, particularly the page that had to be hosed down :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby » 08 Jul 2018, 13:28

Your entertaining review seemed to match the entertaining story :) Nice job!

Sen_Suzumiya
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sen-suzumiya.html
Latest Review: Painting with Words by Ian Prattis

Post by Sen_Suzumiya » 01 Sep 2018, 20:02

After I read it I have second thoughts. It is really funny don't get me wrong, but I'm a little concerned about what this book teaches children to do. Perhaps I'm overreacting but I know how children sometimes copy what they see or read. When I read to children my favorite books are the ones with a beautiful hidden message that will make them think and grow.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Anthony__ » 25 Jan 2019, 02:48

I just finished reading this book. One thing I noticed, the hidden educational aspect. The author indirectly thought the kids alot through illustrations. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”