Review by Jmteachmom -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by Jmteachmom -- The Devil Take Tomorrow

Post by Jmteachmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Take Tomorrow" by Gretchen Jeannette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought about laying down your life for your country? What about leaving your family to fight for your country, not knowing if you will return? Is putting oneself in mortal danger each day for a cause you deeply believe in worth the risk?

The book The Devil Takes Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeanette is an historical fiction novel addressing the questions posed. In this novel there is a beautifully written story that gives readers insight into the bravery, courage, and determination the men and women who have and do fight for the rights of the American people.

The novel begins with the scene of a carriage traveling through the forest. As the carriage makes its way to the appointed destination of Highgate Manor, there is an ambush by some merry thugs. It is at this moment we meet our main character, Ethan Matlock. As he saves the day, he is ushered in to the family of Robert Sinclair. Sinclair is a staunch Royalist who has big plans once the British win the Revolutionary War. Along with Sinclair is his sister Agnes Graves and his step-niece Maddie Graves. Maddie Graves is a force to be reckoned with as her anger burns toward Robert Sinclair, because he is the man responsible for having her father imprisoned on charges of treason.

Ethan Matlock is requested to follow the “family” as they continue their journey as a bodyguard of sorts. Once they have reached their destination, Matlock begins his time at Highgate Manor. Sinclair refers to Matlock as the son he should have had. What he doesn’t know is Matlock is an American spy and Sinclair is on his radar.
As the story progresses, Matlock infiltrates the British lines to find out information about a coup planned to capture and kill General George Washington. While following orders, Matlock falls in love with Maddie Graves and this abominable team becomes even more dangerous to the British.

Gretchen Jeanette weaves this intriguing story together that keeps you turning the pages with great anticipation. While keeping the story flowing, Jeanette gives the reader glimpses into the past of each character which only serves to give readers a clear understanding of who they are. Her use of adjectives like fierce, vile, and frozen to describe how each character is speaking, standing, or feeling makes the reader feel like they are there with them. There is nothing to dislike about the work Jeanette has fashioned for her readers.

In conclusion, I would rate this novel a 4 out of 4 stars. Gretchen Jeanette has written a novel that evokes emotion, shows the determination of the soldiers of the American Revolution, and expresses how love can fuel actions and change the course of one’s life. Anyone who has interest or passion for the American Revolution should take time to read this novel. It is worth one’s time to get this novel in their hands. It should be noted that there is violence and some foul language making me not recommend this novel for readers under the age of eighteen.

The Devil Take Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Jmteachmom's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I like historical fiction. Being an Indian, I know little about the Independence of America. I would love to know more about your country. Thanks for your review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I absolutely loved this book. This is the first review I have seen of the book and so I'm delighted you enjoyed it as much as I did! :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's very interesting to utilize historical fiction in writing such an outstanding novel on The American Revolution. Thanks for the engaging review.
CarrieG1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieg1.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by CarrieG1 »

Wonderful review! I loved this book and I'm glad it looks like so many other people did too :)
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:

Post by Jmteachmom »

Julie Green wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 17:24 I absolutely loved this book. This is the first review I have seen of the book and so I'm delighted you enjoyed it as much as I did! :tiphat:
Thank you!
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:

Post by Jmteachmom »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 10:13 It's very interesting to utilize historical fiction in writing such an outstanding novel on The American Revolution. Thanks for the engaging review.
Thank you so much! I absolutely loved this book and enjoyed writing this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”